Photo screensaver is not responding RRS feed

• Question

• When my computer goes into screensaver using the "Photo Screensaver" for more than a few minutes it chokes coming out. First it freezes, then if you click the mouse a bunch and mash the keyboard a bit, the picture grays out the revolving circle appears and its shortly followed by the box saying "Photo screensaver is not responding" then it goes looking for a solution that it never finds and finally after a few aggravating minutes it brings me back to my desktop.

This happens EVERY time I exit my screen saver. Needless to say, it's very annoying!

I have the program pointing to a folder on my desk top. The folder contains 13.1GB of 31,357 files in 224 folders. It's an awesome collection of randomness!

I'm expecting people to say that it's too much for the screen saver to handle, and I say that's just foolish, it should be able to handle an unlimited amount of pictures. This computer should be able to randomly pick through the 31,000 pictures with ease! I have a core i7 for god sakes, it's not a processing power issue. Is it that the code in the screensaver just sucks or what?

I'm running:

Windows Vista Enterprise (x64) (build 7600)

2.65 gigahertz Intel Core i7 950

6136 Megabytes Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:50 AM

Answers

• This issue can be caused by software conflictions. I suggest you troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Please understand that this forum is for Windows 7. Since the issue we are discussing occurs in Windows Vista, I suggest you post in our Windows Vista forum if more assistances are needed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:44 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:24 AM

All replies

• This issue can be caused by software conflictions. I suggest you troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode.

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Please understand that this forum is for Windows 7. Since the issue we are discussing occurs in Windows Vista, I suggest you post in our Windows Vista forum if more assistances are needed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:44 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:24 AM
  • I am having the same problem in Windows 7. Have tried both the fix-it tool and the clean boot mode. No progress. Crazy-making trying to get the screensaver to turn off so I can get some work done. Have also run virus scans, etc etc etc. Argh.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:07 PM