Unknown Icon in the Notification taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• I have an icon in my task bar that is a light blue square. (Darker blue on top fading to a light blue) Inside of the square is the letter K. I double click on the icon and it asks for a password with no explanation of what the program is. The same happens when I right click on it. I have searched for this icon in my add/remove programs and cannot find it. I’ve also used my task manager to try and find this program running, but I cannot find it. Can anyone help me please?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:17 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:43 PM

All replies

• Hi PhelPhel, you said.. I have searched for this icon in my add/remove programs and cannot find it. I’ve also used my task manager to try and find this program running, but I cannot find it. Can anyone help me please?

Try, checking for something loading in your startup file. Go to the search from the Start button and type msconfig.exe - your system configuration utility will load - go to the 'startup' menu. Check the list of things starting at startup and uncheck anything you think looks suspicious. (it could start with K.. ) - you can uncheck a box and apply the change. On restart the unchecked program(s) will be prevented from auto-starting thereafter..

I've not seen such an icon though with K though. Someone else might suggest the specific program doing this..

Regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

Please launch task manager by Ctrl+Alt+Del and check if there is any suspicious process running and taking up high CPU?

Run your Antivirus software and perform a scan.

To remove the icon, please go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons and select Hide the notifications.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:37 AM
  • You have a key logger program that was installed on your computer to track your online and offline activities! It was installed via a free download off the net. and was also done from your computer.

I too have the same icon and it was installed by my trusting and loving wife.

Hope you find this helpful.

Friday, August 5, 2011 12:39 AM
  • Hi FishonGa, when you said..  "You have a key logger program"

Would you class it as Malware.. Ie does it send these logging activities back to its base - or is it only reporting locally. In either case - have you scanned your files with MSE or other A/V to determine if it's safe to have installed?

Do you know what it's called or which downloads might result in getting it?

Sure sounds like a potential hazard to me.. :\

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Friday, August 5, 2011 3:30 AM