Continuous DNS MP errors RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving the following errors on a couple of our dns servers.  I have not been able to find any information on how to correct these errors.  I did try to run the script manually and it appears to hang while it uses 25% of the CPU continuously.  Any ideas besides just removing the DNS MP?

Forced to terminate the following process started at 3:35:07 PM because it ran past the configured timeout 60 seconds. Command executed: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "NslookupTest.js" "####.###" "###.###.###.###.###" "ns" "false" Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 2\5195\ One or more workflows were affected by this. Workflow name: Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Monitor.ZoneResolution Instance name: ####.### (####.####.###) Instance ID: {3FB4B7F9-BA58-D0AC-2BCA-375B57A1C1BB} Management group: ####

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This known issue will be fixed in next release of DNS MP which will be released
    very soon. Till the time next version is available possible workarounds as listed
    below:

The possible workaround would be to change frequency of some rules, discoveries and
    monitors which uses nslookuptest script. This way CPU spike will be controlled.

Discoveries (2003 MP - Base on Scripts):

Current Freq    New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.ServerDiscovery                900     86400 (Daily)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Discovery.Components     900 43200 (12 hours)

(Zones, DNS Domains, WINS Connectors and Forwarder)
    Rules (2003 MP - Base on Scripts)
                                                                                                    Current Freq New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Rule.CollectLocalResolutionTime 900 900 (15
    Minutes)

Unit Monitors (2003 MP - Base on Scripts)
                                                                                                     Current Freq New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Monitor.ServerResponsiveness 900 3600 (Hour)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Monitor.ZoneResolution 900 1800 (30 Minutes)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Monitor.ZoneRunning 900 900 (15 Minutes)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.UnitMonitor.ForwarderAvailibility 900 5400 (90
    Minutes)
    Unit Monitors (Library MP - Base on Scripts)
                                                                                       Current Freq New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.Library.Monitor.WINS.TTL 900 2700 (45 Minutes)

You need to configure an override on above rules, monitors and discoveries to
    change the values as recommended.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This known issue will be fixed in next release of DNS MP which will be released
    very soon. Till the time next version is available possible workarounds as listed
    below:

The possible workaround would be to change frequency of some rules, discoveries and
    monitors which uses nslookuptest script. This way CPU spike will be controlled.

Discoveries (2003 MP - Base on Scripts):

Current Freq    New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.ServerDiscovery                900     86400 (Daily)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Discovery.Components     900 43200 (12 hours)

(Zones, DNS Domains, WINS Connectors and Forwarder)
    Rules (2003 MP - Base on Scripts)
                                                                                                    Current Freq New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Rule.CollectLocalResolutionTime 900 900 (15
    Minutes)

Unit Monitors (2003 MP - Base on Scripts)
                                                                                                     Current Freq New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Monitor.ServerResponsiveness 900 3600 (Hour)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Monitor.ZoneResolution 900 1800 (30 Minutes)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.Monitor.ZoneRunning 900 900 (15 Minutes)
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.2003.UnitMonitor.ForwarderAvailibility 900 5400 (90
    Minutes)
    Unit Monitors (Library MP - Base on Scripts)
                                                                                       Current Freq New Freq
    Microsoft.Windows.DNSServer.Library.Monitor.WINS.TTL 900 2700 (45 Minutes)

You need to configure an override on above rules, monitors and discoveries to
    change the values as recommended.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:45 AM
  • How much longer until that MP will be released?  I've uninstalled the MP for now to correct the problem and would prefer to reinstall when it is fixed as opposed to setting up all those overrides.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem that this one described in the following post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4000977&SiteID=17

In your answer, you indicate that a new version of the DNS MP will be released “very soon”.

Could you please be more precise and just give me an idea about “very soon” ?

I’m afraid of what my customers could say if I tell them “Your problems will be solved very soon”…

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

For the new version of DNS MP, please monitor the System Center Pack Catalog website.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/cc462790.aspx
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:51 AM
  •  

Hello,

Just wondering on the status of this MP, I am getting a lot of these errors and it is annoying to clear them.

EP

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:20 PM