Installing Roles or Features freezes server RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and whenever I try to add a Role or Feature, about 3/4 of the way through the installation the machine freezes requiring a hard reboot.

I was able to install these before and the only thing I can think of that changed was that I changed my default administrator user name.

Any input would be much appreicated!

Friday, March 4, 2011 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Dale,

I was able to find out what was causing the crash by creating a memory dump. Turns out it was my anti-virus software, ESET NOD 32. This software had been attempted to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. Uninstalling the ESET NOD fixed the problem.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate.

• Marked as answer by ChrisOC Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any error message? Please check the %windir%\Logs\ServerManager.log, see if any error is noted.

Generally, freezing can be caused by several factors:

l   Software conflicts

l   Dirty memory

l   Bad system files

l   Incorrect permissions

To troubleshoot the problem, please try:

1.     Run the command: SFC /SCANNOW to repair corrupt system files.

2.     Perform a Clean Boot to see how it works.

3.     If the issue persists, you could also try In-place Upgrade.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

If  the issuer persists, please run System Update Readiness Tool and share us the CheckUSR.log.

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, March 7, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Hi Dale, thanks for the response!

It doesn't look like any obvious errors in the ServerManager.log - the last few lines before it freezes are:

3232: 2011-03-07 10:08:57.580 [CBS]                       ...'IIS-WebServer' : applicability: Applicable
    3232: 2011-03-07 10:09:08.397 [CbsUIHandler]              Initiate:
    3232: 2011-03-07 10:09:08.398 [InstallationProgressPage]  Installing...

1. I ran the SFC /SCANNOW and it said it didn't find any integrity violations.

2. I've run the System Update Readiness Tool and the CheckUSR.log says everything is fine.

3. I've performed an in-place upgrade, but still same freezing problem.

If it helps, I have an identical server that is also experiencing the exact same problems. I was able to install certain roles/features and then one day they both had this issue. The only thing I can think of that changed was me renaming the default admin account.

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, March 7, 2011 3:29 PM
  • How about logging with other administrator account?

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:42 AM
  • I get same result.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Please enable the built-in administrator and log in to see how it works. To enable the built-in administrator account, type the following command in elevated privilege.

Net user administrator /active:yes

Best Regards
    Dale

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:58 AM
  • still freezing on me :(
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:09 PM
  • As the problem persists on all user accounts, I am wondering if it is caused by hardware problem. Let’s try the following methods:

1.     Update all device drivers to the latest version.

2.     Check the hard disk for errors:

Chkdsk /f /r

3.     Run Memory Diagnostic Utility to test memory.

1)    Reboot computer, keep pressing F8, choose "Repair Your Computer" when startup menu appear.

2)    Click "Next" and type user password  if prompt, click next.

3)    Press the Tab key on the keyboard to highlight "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and press the Enter key.

If the issuer persists, let’s use a utility ShellExView to track the exact cause. You could download ShellExView v1.41

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Best Regards

Dale

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:59 AM
  • Hi Dale,

I was able to find out what was causing the crash by creating a memory dump. Turns out it was my anti-virus software, ESET NOD 32. This software had been attempted to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. Uninstalling the ESET NOD fixed the problem.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate.

• Marked as answer by ChrisOC Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:35 PM