Why don't MS do as they preach RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have been trying to find a version of the Windows Media Player that is compatible with Windows Vista and haven't been able to find it. They included Real Player with their bundle. Is Microsoft wanting to get out of the media player business? Real Player will run .wmv and .asf files. For the amount of work they have expended creating WMP 11 it seems like they would have made it also compatible with their newest OS.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 6:49 AM

All replies

• I think, though i wight be mistaken, but i think that the Media Center is going to replace Media Player for Vista.
    Friday, October 6, 2006 4:11 PM
  • i dont quite understand. Vista RC1 has included a copy of the WMP 11. 

for more information on WMP in Vista check out this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/experiences/nextgenplayer.mspx

as for the rumor of microsoft wanting to use media centre instead of wmp i think its all lies :) why would they want to get rid of a system resource friendly media player (in comparison to mc)

Friday, October 6, 2006 10:50 PM
  •  

tbear262,  I'm assuming that the version of Vista you are using is a 'special' modded edition. I've got to say, if you have seen Real Player on your system and it shipped like that you ought to let us know what version you are running!

Backing up what Michael said, Vista Beta 2 and RC1 shipped with Windows Media Player (and Windows Media Centre).

I advise you to check again.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 8:51 AM
  • I am using RC2 and I am using WMP without any problems. Please remember that the version of Vista you are using in not the final RTM and there is no guarantee that everything will function.

If you paid cash for the program and it does not function properly then you have every right to complain. Bottom line you get what you pay for. You are 3 months away from a ligitimate complaint againt MS and the functionability with Vista.

Finally you do have an option, if VISTA BETA is not working for you right now, just revert back to XP and be happy.  

Good Luck

Friday, October 13, 2006 6:49 PM
  • This forum is actually for issues with the Application Compatibility Toolkit. I believe you want information that can be best provided by the Windows Vista Applications forum. I am moving this post for you.

~Liz

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 5:58 PM