Does outlook support .eml encrypted with custom IRM protector RRS feed

• Question

• I developed a custom IRM Protector for SharePoint that encrypts .eml files download from a certain document library. I followed the example of SampleDocProtector provided on the following MSDN link. After deploying the custom protector I checked that the files are encrypted and IRM data are added to the file and everything seems okay. However, outlook doesn't seem to understand that the files are encrypted. It was not contacting the RMS server and it was displayed encrypted data without being decrypted. 

When I first read about custom IRM protectors, the following MSDN article states that custom IRM should work as long as the client application supports IRM. Does outlook support IRM ?

Many Thanks,

Omran 

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Omran,

Sorry that my knowledge about custom IRM Protector is quite limited. But regarding your concern about whether Outlook supports IRM, I did some research and found that it is supported to restrict permission to content in email messages in Outlook with Information Rights Management (IRM), just as you can restrict permission to other Microsoft Office files. 

For more information, hopefully you can find the article below helpful:

Introduction to IRM for email messages 

Hope you can find the above information helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 8:07 AM