SCOM not discovering iSCSI RRS feed

• Question

• We have the Windows Server File and iSCSI Services 2012 / 2012R2 / 2016 and 1709+ management packs installed and from what I can see all the iSCSI discoveries are enabled by default however none of our iSCSI infrastructure is being discovered. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The discovery rule runs every 4 hours by default, and discovers an instance of the iSCSI Target service where it is installed.

The rule is targeted to either Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016 and 1709+ File Services role and will only run on servers that have the File Services role enabled and discovered.

If all of the above are met, have you tried clearing the cache of the Operations Console or the cache of the agent?

Might also check the Operations Manager event log for any clues.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:36 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

Just to confirm with you, can we see the servers listed in the monitoring pane as shown in below example?

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, November 4, 2019 3:04 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to step into this issue because I'm experiencing the same. We have quite a lot of 2012 R2 servers, some 2016 and some 2019. I've had the Windows Server File and iSCSI Services 2012 / 2012R2 / 2016 and 1709+ management packs installed and found out that ALL servers were listed Healthy under the 2012/2012R2 MP, whether it was SMB, NFS or All File Servers, the newer MP had all objects listed as "Not monitored".

We decided to remove the 2012/2012R2 MP yesterday to see if at least all 2016 and 2019 servers now get listed under the new MP version 10.0.0.0, but nothing happened. All servers have now disappeared from DFS Namespace Servers in the "Microsoft Windows Server Files Services" MP which also has version 10.0.0.0, all Namespaces have gone. The MP for "File & iSCSI Services 2016 and 1709+" has all 95 servers listed in All File Servers with "Not monitored", NFS and SMB State also has all 95 servers listed in Not monitored state.

It looks like the MP for 2016 and 1709+ doesn't work at all except for discovering the objects, but not monitoring them. All monitors and rules of this MP are enabled, I cannot find any error messages. I'm really thinking of deleting this newer MP, importing the 2012/2012R2 again and hoping that it will discover all the servers and their components. But this cannot be the solution.

Regards     Ingrid

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:25 AM
  • @Guy_In_IT: What's the current status of your issue?

@IngridG: If you think this is a bug in the management pack, you can provide feedback over here:
    https://systemcenterom.uservoice.com/forums/293064-general-operations-manager-feedback

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Saturday, November 16, 2019 4:21 AM
  • Hi Guys,

those are the discoveries, run by the iSCSI MP (the new one):

Microsoft.Windows.FileServices.Service.iSCSITarget.10.0.Discovery (Discovery)

and

Microsoft.Windows.FileServices.Service.iSCSITarget.10.0.Relationship.Discovery (Discovery)

The first one is targeted to the File Server class, depcited here:

Microsoft.Windows.FileServices.10.0.FileServer (ClassType)

In order to troubleshoot this you will have to dig to the class instances (Microsoft.Windows.FileServices.10.0.FileServer) and see whether those are discovered in your env. The iSCSI target Discovery (the new one) is then targeted to those objects. 

If there are issues with the dioscovery workflows you can try to trace them either on the SCOM side using the Admin Task for that or on the agent side, using either the Events in the Operations Manager log or agent tracing.

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:32 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

I don't have an issue with the discovery of the objects for File Services, but the monitoring.

Checking the running rules and monitors on one of the listed file servers, it lists the information for SMB. I don't have a single failed rule or monitor on this server. I wonder why monitoring doesn't work with the new MP, while with the old MP for File & iSCSI 2012, everything was fine for all servers 2012, 2016 and 2019. I even had the DFS Namespaces which are gone now.

I assume the new MP doesn't work properly regarding the monitoring of SMB, NFS and File servers in general.

I think I'll provide feedback on this as suggested by Leon.

Regards   Ingrid

Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Hi Ingrid,

so if I get this right you have instances of the "Microsoft.Windows.FileServices.10.0.FileServer" class in your environment and also instances for the iSCSI targets ("Microsoft.Windows.FileServices.Service.iSCSITarget.10.0"), they are just not monitored? 

I am really curious if this is the case. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:25 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

sorry for the late reply.

We use the MP for "Microsoft Windows Server File & iSCSI Service 2016 and 1709+". Rights now 94 servers are listed under the view "All File Servers". None of these servers has the green check for being monitored, all show "Not monitored". Same for the SMB State view. I'm not sure about any iSCSI target instances, but we definitely have quite a few file servers with OS 2016 and higher.

The MP "Microsoft Windows Server File Services" shows all 94 in the view "File Services State", all of the in Not Monitored. No DFS Namespaces, servers, Roles AD Sites, nothing.

With the old 2012 MP, all details had been discovered and were monitored. Now, even after more than 4 weeks, still no monitoring of any of the file servers with the new MP. I haven't had time to look deeper into this issue nor did I report to Microsoft.

Regards   Ingrid

Monday, December 9, 2019 1:56 PM