none
Bitlocker Recovery Key (This functionality is not enabled or not available) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Friends,

I have a unique situation. My company procured a laptop for me directly through HP and got it directly shipped to me. This laptop does not has any company image or software. I used this laptop for around a month before it crashed. Since i had data on the HDD, i took out the HDD and sent the laptop back to HP for repair.

Yesterday HP sent me a new laptop and  i replaced the HDD with my older one. Since then the laptop has been asking me for the recovery key. When i tried generating the Recovery Key using the  link https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/n/#/devices i got the error message "This functionality is not enabled or not available"

Any ideas on how to proceed? I also reached out to my company IT administrators but they mentioned that since the laptop is not on corporate domain , they are unable to generate the recovery key for the same (as they do not see this laptop on the domain)

Has anyone else encountered this situation before? Any ideas on how to proceed.

Regards

Andy

Thursday, January 4, 2018 4:56 PM

All replies

• This situation can be cleared up quickly:

-that "crash", did it leave the old laptop unbootable? If so, what error message did you see?

-that old laptop, how did you use bitlocker on it, with a PIN, with a USB key and a PIN or did it just boot without the need to enter anything?

-did you use a microsoft account or link your logon account to such an account?

Depending on your answers, there might be a way.

Friday, January 5, 2018 8:52 AM