MDT OSD tries to install OS onto the offline media USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• When we try to deploy Windows using USB offline media, when the deployment starts, it tries to format and partition the USB boot media and deploy the image there instead of the local hard drive on the system.

How can we force it to use the internal hard disk?

Friday, October 14, 2016 9:23 PM

Answers

• Typically it will always be what is detected as disk 0 unless you specify something different.  If you are more comfortable you could split your WIMs outside of MDT and just change OperatingSystems.xml to reference your split WIM as SWM.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Saturday, October 15, 2016 8:39 PM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:30 AM
  • The first one.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:39 AM

All replies

• If you are using a USB drive that shows up as a hard disk drive then this is somewhat expected.  You must use a USB flash drive.

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MyGposts Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:31 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:29 AM
  • We have used USB hard drives for this purpose without this problem.  

We don't use USB flash drives because we need 2 partitions (fat32 boot partition required for UEFI systems plus NTFS data partition for data files to hold the WIM file that's too large to go on a FAT32).

Most "flash drives" do not allow for partitioning.  We must use a drive that reports as a fixed disk.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Split wim is supported by MDT 2013 update 2.  If you want to continue doing what you have been then expect to sometimes see your original failure.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Splitting wims is not reliable in MDT and the method we are using is supported also.  How do we manage how the task sequence chooses which physical disk to deploy to?

Saturday, October 15, 2016 4:59 AM
  • Typically it will always be what is detected as disk 0 unless you specify something different.  If you are more comfortable you could split your WIMs outside of MDT and just change OperatingSystems.xml to reference your split WIM as SWM.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:30 AM
  • How and which one of the swm files do you specify?
    Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:34 AM
  • The first one.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:39 AM
  • What I did to use a USB drive detected as a Fixed disk was to modify line 71 of ZTIDiskUtility.vbs to

isOSReady = g_Win32_DiskDrive.InterfaceType <> "USB" and g_Win32_DiskDrive.InterfaceType <> "1394" and g_Win32_DiskDrive.Model <> "Corsair Voyager GTX SCSI Disk Device"

Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:29 PM