Uninstall Exchange 2007 CCR mailbox role problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to decommission Exchange 2007 to move to 2010. All the mailboxes have been moved from 2007 to 2010 and the 2007 mailbox servers are ready to be removed. In 2007 the environment looks like this:

Server 1 - Hub transport and CAS server
    Server 2 - CCR mailbox server
    Server 3 - CCR mailbox server

I went to Programs and Features on Server 3 and uninstalled Exchange 2007. The uninstaller selected passive mode for me.

I rebooted Server 2. I then went to Programs and Features on Server 2 and uninstalled Exchange 2007. The uninstaller again selected passive mode for me.

Now I am left with a cluster with no exchange. Server 1 still thinks the CCR exists.

I see what I did wrong: I didn't run Setup.com /removeCMS /CMSName:MBXCCR.

Should I reinstall Exchange 2007 on Server 2 using the wizard or should I try to recover using: Setup /mode:RecoverServer /RecoverCMS /CMSName:<CMSName> /CMSIP:<Exchange VS IP
    Address>

Will reinstalling break anything in the 2010 environment?

Or am I better off trying to remove references to the old CCR in ADSIEdit?

Thanks!

Tristan

Monday, February 24, 2014 4:04 PM

Answers

• I think you need to recover Server 2 as a passive node using -RecoverCMS, and give it the cluster.  Then remove the cluster and remove Exchange.  But it's been a very long time since I worked with Exchange 2007.  For more info, check this web page:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124095(v=EXCHG.80).aspx

If the old CCR isn't being used and you have everything else running Exchange 2010, ADSIEdit might work, but it would be a last resort.

Monday, February 24, 2014 4:45 PM