Inbuilt styles in 2010 vs 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• We have a template to define the styles and other settings. And word contents in the system will have to match(be in sync with) the template. Template gets updated in 2007. implementation team adds new custom styles named date/list. when a content is checked-out and edited it will get these styles in it, these styles are percolated into the content when user check-out a content. Now when user edits the content with 2010 the newly added styles "date" and "list" are changed to "Date1" and "List1". Problem is when user checks-in the file back into the system, these automatically renamed styles are not available in the template and hence content is not in sync with the template. Our initial investigation reveals that there are "date" and "list" styles defined in office 2010 as inbuilt styles. So, when the content is edited in 2010 system changes "date" and "list" to "Date1" and "List1" correspondigly. Is there a way to get around this problem. Our clients want to custom define "date" and "list" styles and keep the same name.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

manjunath

Saturday, August 24, 2013 1:43 PM

Answers

• Rename the global template (Normal.dotm)

1 .          Exit Word 2010

2.       Click Start.

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates

4.       Right-click Normal.dotm, and then click Rename.

5.       Type Oldword.old, and then press ENTER.

6.       Close Windows Explorer.

7.       Start Word 2010, and then open the document

Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:37 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:26 AM
  • Is there any possible solution for this problem.. Am really not able to figure anything to resolve this programmatic.

manjunath

Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Rename the global template (Normal.dotm)

1 .          Exit Word 2010

2.       Click Start.

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templates

4.       Right-click Normal.dotm, and then click Rename.

5.       Type Oldword.old, and then press ENTER.

6.       Close Windows Explorer.

7.       Start Word 2010, and then open the document

Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Since you can't get rid of the built-in styles, you will have to edit them (instead of trying to replace them).

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, August 30, 2013 6:41 AM
  • I tried these steps to remove/rename the template file. But, it does not resolve the issue. As soos as I open the content I can see my custom styles("date" & "list") getting renamed to Date2 and List1. 

manjunath

Monday, September 2, 2013 5:40 PM