none
I crashed SS RRS feed

• Question

• I was in a hurry to get settings changed.  Good thing this is my test box and not a production machine.  It was in the logged off mode doing the updates.  I was in a rush and hard powered off the machine.  Getting back into the desktop with our MIS account (SteadyState Admin/config)  it has the prompt that the "program is updating and the system will be restarted when done"  Then it has and application error "VCFSERVICE", and an unexpected error "0x80041002".   I can not unsintstall the program since WDP is on.  I can not get into the program to change that, I get "SS is not correctly installed. Repair or reinstall the application".

Please tell me i can fix this rather than reformating.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Texkonc,

You can refer to the reinstall steps in the following thread:

Unable to uninstall Steady State

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2122443&SiteID=69

If Normal Mode cannot be entered, please enter Safe Mode to perform the above steps

------------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 1:55 AM

All replies

• 9 Views and no slight idea?

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 9:18 PM
  • Hi Texkonc,

You can refer to the reinstall steps in the following thread:

Unable to uninstall Steady State

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2122443&SiteID=69

If Normal Mode cannot be entered, please enter Safe Mode to perform the above steps

------------------------

1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu.

2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.

3. Log onto Windows by using the Administrator account or any user account with the Administrator privileges.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 1:55 AM
  • It did not fix it at all!

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:39 PM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to reinstall SteadyState with the steps I mentioned? If not, what’s the problem now?

I have included the steps again:

----------------------------

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in regedit and then click OK.

3.  Navigate and delete the following two branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows SteadyState

4. Reinstall SteadyState.

As VCFSERVICE is related to the WDP cache file, the cache file may have been corrupted. We can manually delete the cache file to check the  result:

Step 1: Enter Safe Mode

Step 2: Delete the cache file

----------------------------

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel, and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab. Under Hidden files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders."

3. Clear the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" check box.

4. Clear the "Hide extensions for known file type" check box. Click OK.

5. Delete the Cache.WDP file under drive C. Restart the computer to Normal Mode.

6. Start SteadyState, “Cache File Is Corrupted” windows will appear.

7. Select “Uninstall Windows Disk Protection and delete the corrupted cache file” and click OK.

After restart, please check whether SteadyState can be started or uninstalled. 

If the issue continues, would you please provide more information? Thanks a lot!

Thursday, October 4, 2007 6:44 AM
  •  

I forgot the what the default admin password was that i set, i said the heck with it and wiped it clean.  Take more time to figure out the pw then to wipe it.  Glad it was the test box and not the field machine.  I have the pw notated now, i might try to crash it on purpose now Smile and try to fix it that way.  To learn that fix.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:44 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback! If further assistance is needed, please feel free to let me know.

Monday, October 8, 2007 1:51 AM