Can Lync phone device PINs be set via PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• Can a Lync device, e.g. CX600, have its lock pin set via PowerShell?   Is there any way to synchronize a user's dial-in PIN with the "device" PIN on his/her primary phone?
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:59 PM

All replies

• I think you should be able to lock pin via PowerShell if you use Lock-CsClientPin command.  Check this for the reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398650.aspx

I do not believe that there is a way to sync user's dial-in PIN and the "device" PIN on his primary phone.

Thank you.

Please “Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answer” if this post helped you.

• Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lisa.zheng Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:20 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:27 PM
  • I think that cmdlet sets the user's dial-in PIN, not a Lync device's PIN.

From the page you mentioned:

"Lync Server enables users to connect to the system, or to join public switched telephone network (PSTN) conferences by using a telephone. Typically, logging on to the system or joining a conference requires the user to enter a user name or password. However, entering a user name and password can be a problem if you are using a phone that does not have an alphanumeric keypad. Because of that, Lync Server enables you to supply users with numeric-only PINs"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398650.aspx

Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Take a look at this article: http://blog.schertz.name/2011/04/common-area-phone-configuration-in-lync/

One of the steps is to set phone PIN number.  To set the phone's PIN number, you use Set-CsClientPin command. If you can use this command to set the PIN, I think that you should be able to use Lock-CsClientPin for the phone.

In any case, can you try it?

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by Lisa.zheng Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jeff SchertzMVP Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:40 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Check the following blog.

http://www.jaapwesselius.com/2013/02/20/lync-phone-support-and-pin-login/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:24 AM
  • As I said before, I believe Set-CsclientPin only manages the user's dial-in conferencing PIN (which is also used to authenticate users on phones that aren't USB-tethered to Lync).

The device PIN that locks the handset is entirely local to the handset.   That is the PIN I'd like to centrally reset.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:48 PM
  • This is exact command that I was using last week for the client:

Set-CsClientPin –Identity "Lobby Phone 1" -Pin 123123

It setup pin for the common area phone called "Lobby Phone 1".

Thank you.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Hugh is asking about the Device PIN, not the user's Authentication PIN.

No, there is no way to programmatically or remotely set the device PIN, this can only be defined by the user locally on the device after signing-in with their account. 

If the policies allow the user can use the same PIN if they like, but the device lock PIN is only saved for that specific cached set of user credentials and must be recreated each time a user signs into a Lync Phone Edition device.

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:43 PM
  • You are right Jeff, I missed that "lock pin" part of the phrase.

Thank you.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:47 PM