none
Local Area Network (LAN) Settings empty after Windows updates on some users RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    We changed to Internet Explorer 10 some time ago. This problem has been persistent from the day one. The problem is that after every Windows Update some users get their Local Area Network (LAN) Settings (Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections-TAB --> LAN settings) totally blanked. We are using the automatic configuration script so this is the only setting I'm really interested about. There is no single windows update that effects this. Every Windows Update that touches the Internet Explorer will erase the options.

    1. We are using new Group Policy to push USER settings to clients (USER Config... / Preferences / Control Panel Settings / Internet Settings)
    2. I have also made another GP that will send the right REG values (USER Config... / Preferences / Windows Settings / Registry) Also I push these settings on logon-script if they are not present.
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "AutoConfigURL"="http://proxy.server.address:1812/pac_files/proxy.pac"

    After user takes restart the settings are fine again. Also running gpupdate and starting Internet Explorer again fixes the problem. Any ideas would be great... I dunno maybe it would be possible to push these settings to HKLM side to make them the new "defaults". I will post updates how that goes.

    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:20 AM

Answers

  • After user takes restart the settings are fine again. Also running gpupdate and starting Internet Explorer again fixes the problem. Any ideas would be great... I dunno maybe it would be possible to push these settings to HKLM side to make them the new "defaults". I will post updates how that goes.

    Try using ProcMon, filtering with Operation Is RegSetValue to see what is going on.  The trace will be especially useful if you have another one of it working normally.



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    • Marked as answer by LomM Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:54 PM
    Answerer

All replies

  • After user takes restart the settings are fine again. Also running gpupdate and starting Internet Explorer again fixes the problem. Any ideas would be great... I dunno maybe it would be possible to push these settings to HKLM side to make them the new "defaults". I will post updates how that goes.

    Try using ProcMon, filtering with Operation Is RegSetValue to see what is going on.  The trace will be especially useful if you have another one of it working normally.



    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    • Marked as answer by LomM Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:18 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello,

    This was a great advice! I'm currently checking the procmon logs and there are plenty of programs that like to write and read that value from the registry. I will eliminate the sources one by one.

    First I added filter with "RegSetValue" but I couldn't find anything that important and removed it

    I added filter for just for "Path", operator "contains", String:

    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\AutoConfigURL

    I could see that something was using RegDeleteValue Operator. It turns out that there was an old script that deleted the AutoConfigURL value from the registry and then run an Registry.reg -file that contains the right proxy.pac -settings BUT the proxy-pack is in a server share. So there is a change that IF the computer has not received correct network access it could in theory fail this step. I deleted the script. I will see if this fixed the problem. But If that happens I will start a new thread.

    Thank you for you help!

    Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:18 PM