none
Configuring Default File Association with exceptions (e.g. for the browser) using GPO

Question

• Hi

I'm setting up the "Default File Association GPO" for our new Windows10 clients based on this article:

https://www.loginvsi.com/blog/login-vsi/518-fixing-default-file-type-associations-in-windows-10

Basically you have to export an "AppAssoc.xml" from an existing Windows10 client and deploy it using this GPO

It's working fine but I was wondering if it's possible to create exceptions for some programs (e.g. the browser)

So the Default Browser would be Internet Explorer but the user should be able to change it if he wants to. If a user changes the browser now it works just until the next gpupdate.

Is there a simple solution for this problem?

Thanks!

GeruGersten

• Edited by GeruGersten Friday, February 10, 2017 4:21 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Based on my understanding, I suggest that you could start from AppAssoc.xml aspect to see if the browser item could be excluded from xml file.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 20, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Sorry for the late respone.

Well what I'm trying to achieve is that the user never has to decide which browser should be the default browser but the users who know how to change it should be able to.

With your solution the users are abel to change the default browser, but the default value is nothing (and should be IE)

Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Hi,
    Please choose a windows 10 machine, and manually set Internet Explorer as the default on this reference machine: click Start and then Settings > System > Default apps, under Web browser, you can configure Internet Explorer as the default. Then export this setting to an XML file with the Dism tool that is shipped with Windows 10, and use this XML file in the group policy to set file association. Please refer to:
    https://4sysops.com/archives/set-internet-explorer-as-the-default-browser-in-windows-10-with-group-policy/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Monday, February 27, 2017 2:19 AM