none
how to get a listing of all tapes known to dpm and their contents (PGs) RRS feed

• Question

• I have ~200 tapes, and I am wanting to get a listing of these tapes including the tape number, PG, Date written to, expiry date.

eg

000150L3, 1/apr/2011, SQLservers,1/jun/2011

000151L3, 2/apr/2011, fileservers, 2/jun/2011

Is this possible?

What is the easiest way to do this? We will want to do this on a regular basis.

We use a dell library 124t. DPM2010, D2D2T backups.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. If you have all your tapes in library then you can write a script with following logic

Get the library object from cmdlet

for each library

{

get  all tapes.  and foreach tape  { get-recoverypoints present on it  #recoverypoint will have info regarding datasource and timestamp}

}

Drawback : if u have any tapes outside of library then the above logic doesnt get those tapes info.

2. Bruteforce:

iterate over each protection group and find all tapes for each PG and do the same as above

drawback : you have to eliminate the duplicate entries ( i.e same tape used for multiple pgs case)

Thanks, NikhilKumar.R [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:53 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure if this will contain everything you want, but it's a good start.

Download the DPMjobs-v3.0.zip from http://cid-b03306b628ab886f.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Since we only maintain job history for 30 days in SQL database, you would need to run this at least once per month. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

1. If you have all your tapes in library then you can write a script with following logic

Get the library object from cmdlet

for each library

{

get  all tapes.  and foreach tape  { get-recoverypoints present on it  #recoverypoint will have info regarding datasource and timestamp}

}

Drawback : if u have any tapes outside of library then the above logic doesnt get those tapes info.

2. Bruteforce:

iterate over each protection group and find all tapes for each PG and do the same as above

drawback : you have to eliminate the duplicate entries ( i.e same tape used for multiple pgs case)

Thanks, NikhilKumar.R [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:53 PM