Strange sort order RRS feed

• Question

• It's really strange. I use to order my windows thumbs by type, but I see the shortcuts in rare places.

I.e.: I have folders, .mpg movies, .avi movies, .flv movies, .wmv movies and shortcuts. The folder is ordered like this:
    1 - folders
    2 - .flv movies
    3 - .mpg movies
    4 - SHORTCUTS :O
    5 - .wmv movies
    6 - .avi movies

????????????????????????????????????

Can somebody explainme why?
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:56 PM

Answers

• It's a good question, according my test in WinXP, Vista, and Win7, once I choose sort by type, the order would be :

1 - folders
    2 - .flv movies
    3 - .mpg movies
    5 - .avi movies
    6 - .wmv movies

As the order is same in the three different generations of Windows, the order should be managered by the core codes. According my personal experience, I prefer to sort by name for my files. You can try this arrangement too.

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According my test, if these kinds of files are stored in a folder, the .avi files should be before the .wmv files by default. As the order is by design, if you don't  prefer the shortcuts are surrounded by those videos files, you can move all the shortcuts to a new folder. In that case, you view should be better.

I hope this can help you.

John
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Thanks. This a very "dirty" solution, don't you? :-D

As I remember, the sort order in all windows (I use Windows since the first version for PC XT) was 1 - folders; 2 - shortcuts; and so.

Anyway, as I in general love W7, I see too many things don't broked but "fixed"....
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hi DrGerry,

As my suggestion is just a workaround, why not using another view.  In addition, you can upload your comments to the following website if you have comments with the order in the folder,.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/cb7c6eae-06c0-4247-ad8a-8bb77bd93e47

John
    Monday, February 8, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Thanks. I have a lot of post in this thread, but as this particular was a question, I decide to open a new thread.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 5:55 PM
  • It's a good question, according my test in WinXP, Vista, and Win7, once I choose sort by type, the order would be :

1 - folders
    2 - .flv movies
    3 - .mpg movies
    5 - .avi movies
    6 - .wmv movies

As the order is same in the three different generations of Windows, the order should be managered by the core codes. According my personal experience, I prefer to sort by name for my files. You can try this arrangement too.

John
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Well, probably I'm confused, but I remember to see the folders at the top of the list and then the shortcuts. Anyway, just now I have changed the folder type and if you design it as General itme, it is ordered as I want :D

Thanks. I prefer order by type (don't ask :D)
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:24 PM