SMTP Connector, ADUC questions (MOSS 2007 initial configuration) RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the MS Doc: "Installation Guide for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007" dated April 2008 as my guide.

The network consists of 2 servers - a DC running SBS 2003 Premium SP1 (which uses Windows Server 20003 Std SP2 as the OS), and another physical server with Windows Server 2003 Std R2 SP2 as the OS.  I also have SQL Server 2005 on it. This second server has MOSS installed in a single server setup.  The DC has Active Directory and Exchange on it.

Question 1: How do I configure the SMTP Connector in Exchange (2003 version) for SharePoint email?  Page 148 of the guide refers the reader to the Help documentation in Exchange, but that just tells me what each function is, not the 'extra' stuff I need to know to have MOSS email flow throught it to the
    MOSS server.  Can someone help or point me to a resource?

Question 2: The next section on page 148 of the Guide deals with Configuring AD (actually Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC)).  I got stuck on step 2 "In Active Directory Users and Computers, select the folder for the second-level domain that contains your server farm."  I don't see this anywhere; am I supposed to have created another domain?  As above, can someone help or point me to a resource?

Many thanks in advance!

--
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
    Wood River, NE

Mike Webb, IT Admin, Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

•  

Hello Mike,

I understand that you have two questions when installing and configuration SharePoint Server 2007:

1.       How to configure SMTP connector for SharePoint in Exchange? Additionally, how’s the MOSS mail flow like?

2.       How to find the domain mentioned in Page 151 of Installation Guide for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007?

If I misunderstood your concern, please feel free to correct me.

1.       Configuring SMTP connector is a Exchange Server related topic, that’s why the whitepaper doesn’t describe the process in detail. However, for your convenience, I include the following KB article that may meet your need:

(KB265293) How to configure the SMTP connector in Exchange 200x

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;265293

The article below has illustrated the mail flow inside MOSS, under the title named SharePoint Messaging Architecture:

Inside SharePoint Troubleshoot Messaging Integration
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc718983.aspx

2.       I cited the statement you have question about:

In Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click the folder for the second-level domain that contains your server farm, point to New, and then click Organizational Unit.

I suspect that the word second-level may puzzle you, but actually the domain mentioned above is the one where your MOSS farm is located.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:57 AM

All replies

•  

Hello Mike,

I understand that you have two questions when installing and configuration SharePoint Server 2007:

1.       How to configure SMTP connector for SharePoint in Exchange? Additionally, how’s the MOSS mail flow like?

2.       How to find the domain mentioned in Page 151 of Installation Guide for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007?

If I misunderstood your concern, please feel free to correct me.

1.       Configuring SMTP connector is a Exchange Server related topic, that’s why the whitepaper doesn’t describe the process in detail. However, for your convenience, I include the following KB article that may meet your need:

(KB265293) How to configure the SMTP connector in Exchange 200x

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;265293

The article below has illustrated the mail flow inside MOSS, under the title named SharePoint Messaging Architecture:

Inside SharePoint Troubleshoot Messaging Integration
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc718983.aspx

2.       I cited the statement you have question about:

In Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click the folder for the second-level domain that contains your server farm, point to New, and then click Organizational Unit.

I suspect that the word second-level may puzzle you, but actually the domain mentioned above is the one where your MOSS farm is located.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel

Thursday, August 7, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Thanks!
    Mike Webb, IT Admin, Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:39 PM