auto open folder contents RRS feed

• Question

• New to windows 7, I see that in file explorer, the folders do not automatically display the folder contents when I navigate to them with the arrow key...I have to hit the enter key to display the folder contents.  In xp, it would display automatically.  Is there a way to change this in win 7?

thanks

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No solution can be found for this. However our developers are monitoring this forum and I beleive that they will be noticed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:23 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:57 AM

All replies

• the setting's somewhere in folder options. explorer the options by yourself and you'll learn something new.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:51 AM
  • This behavior is changed in Windows 7. The subfolders will be displayed if you click on the folder in navigation pane, but not when you choose that folder by pressing the arrows keys in keyboard.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum  
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, October 22, 2010 7:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jo Bime Friday, October 22, 2010 12:36 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 10:02 AM
  • I've searched high and low for a setting that will change this behaviour. If you know where it is, would you be good enough to share the secret with us?
    Noel
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:37 PM
  • Are you saying that this major departure from Windows standards for at least the past ten years - the congruence between highlighted and selected - is by design?

Is it only in Windows Explorer that this behaviour has changed, or are there other corners of the OS where one can expect surprises like this?

cnus tells us that there is an option somewhere to restore this behaviour to what has been the normal state. Can you say where this option is?

Noel
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I have tried these options, none of them works.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 3:27 AM
  • I've looked at all the option c-nus, maybe you'd like to share the answer with us.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 12:41 PM
  • this is not the answer.  you are merely re-stating the question.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

No solution can be found for this. However our developers are monitoring this forum and I beleive that they will be noticed.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:23 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:57 AM