Exchange 2013 MP - Failed Database Copies RRS feed

• Question

• SCOM 2016 - Exchange 2016 - Exchange 2013 MP

It would appear that there is no alerting for failed database copies.  Does anyone know how to set this up?   It looks like there are objects for each of the database copies if I go to Monitoring > Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 > Server Components > Mailbox Database Copy, but the state is Not Monitored.  Can I create a rule to target these classes?  Can anyone provide a high level description of what to do to generate alerting on failed or poorly performing database copies.  Also, are cluster node states monitored?

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think that the MP does not have monitors targeted at those classes. If you see them as not monitored that would most probably the reason (assumption).

I got intrigued and checked which rules are targeting the class:

Microsoft.Exchange.15.MailboxDatabaseCopy (ClassType)

So the rules are:

Rules which targeted to Microsoft.Exchange.15.MailboxDatabaseCopy class

No availability info there. 

There is also an Extension MP, written by a Microsoft PFE (If I am nost mistaken), but I am not sure if this will meet your requirements:

Exchange 2013 Monitoring Mailbox Databases and Queues

"This MP will discovery individual Mailbox databases (stand alone  or DAG)  and Transport Queues on Exchange servers. "

Can you please check it out and get back with some info? Thanks in advance for that.

In regards to cluster node states...what kind of cluster do you need to monitor? Do you mean the Exchange DAG here?

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think that the MP does not have monitors targeted at those classes. If you see them as not monitored that would most probably the reason (assumption).

I got intrigued and checked which rules are targeting the class:

Microsoft.Exchange.15.MailboxDatabaseCopy (ClassType)

So the rules are:

Rules which targeted to Microsoft.Exchange.15.MailboxDatabaseCopy class

No availability info there. 

There is also an Extension MP, written by a Microsoft PFE (If I am nost mistaken), but I am not sure if this will meet your requirements:

Exchange 2013 Monitoring Mailbox Databases and Queues

"This MP will discovery individual Mailbox databases (stand alone  or DAG)  and Transport Queues on Exchange servers. "

Can you please check it out and get back with some info? Thanks in advance for that.

In regards to cluster node states...what kind of cluster do you need to monitor? Do you mean the Exchange DAG here?

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 12:25 PM
  • Yes, the Exchange DAG.  I found that too and have been wanting to try it but I can't find how to import the extension.   Is there a tutorial that I'm not finding?  Sorry I'm just getting started with SCOM...
    Wednesday, November 21, 2018 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

you jsut need to download the .zip file, extrtact it, then import the file:

Microsoft.Exchange.15.Custom.Extension.xml (SCOM -> Administration -> Management Packs -> Import MP)

YOu can decide (see the article) if you also want to import (in addition top the first xml) also the dashboard management pack from the folder  "MpScriptDashboards"

The views are then found under the Exchange MP folder in the Monitoring pane. 

Regards,

Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Thanks!!
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:36 PM