none
BitLocker Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Some background:

• I have a Windows 10 laptop, and I have never encrypted any drives or installed BitLocker on it. I don't sign into the laptop with a microsoft account. I am the only one who has owned the laptop
    • I am at university and access my university microsoft account via the laptop (OneDrive, Office 365, Outlook etc)

The problem:

• On starting my laptop, I am asked for the BitLocker recovery key.
    • To retrieve the key it provides a link which directs me to my university microsoft account.
    • I phoned my University’s IT support who said they could not be of any assistance as it was a personal laptop.
    • I would rather not reinstall Windows as I have my Uni notes on the laptop - would I be able to reinstall Windows 10 anyway without the BitLocker key?

Questions:

Given the above information, which of the below is possible.

• Bitlocker was preinstalled on my laptop and somehow got triggered.
    • My University Microsoft OneDrive was encrypted with BitLocker, and my interactions with the University applications has resulted in BitLocker being triggered somehow.

Or could either of these be possible?

I was thinking it was probably the latter, given that it links to my Uni microsoft account but wasn't sure so would appreciate some insight to help with this.

Many Thanks

Billy

Friday, November 9, 2018 8:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    BitLocker automatic device encryption uses BitLocker drive encryption technology to automatically encrypt internal drives after the user completes the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) on Modern Standby or HSTI-compliant hardware.

Note: BitLocker automatic device encryption is enabled only after users sign in with a Microsoft Account or an Azure Active Directory account. BitLocker automatic device encryption is not enabled with local accounts, in which case BitLocker can be manually using the BitLocker Control Panel.

Maybe this article can help you:

BitLocker drive encryption in Windows 10 for OEMs
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-bitlocker

You can also refer to the following link to see if you can find the recovery key from your Microsoft account:
    Find my BitLocker recovery key
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026181/windows-10-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 12, 2018 7:30 AM