After Office 365 update to Office 2019, Outlook prompts for password RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hopefully someone can help with this one.

After an update form O365, Outlook keeps on prompting for a password after a restart. The OS is Windows 10 1809 and is connecting to on premise Exchange 2013. The user only has apps from Office 365

I suspected that Outlook was trying to connect to Office 365 instead of the on premise Exchange. I followed advice to change the registry to disable Outlook going to Office 365 first:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover]
    "ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint"=dword:00000001

This change has not worked

I have tried removing Outlook credentials from Credential manager but still the problem persists.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Morne

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, October 29, 2018 6:33 AM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Morne Sturgeon,

What’s the detailed version of Office 2019?

If you click Cancel, will your account remain connected?

You can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

If issue persists, we can also create a new profile to test the results.

Please feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 29, 2018 5:46 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thank you for responding. I have answered questions below:

What’s the detailed version of Office 2019 

Microsoft Oultook 365 MSO (16.0.10827.20118) 32 bit. Product ID : 00265-80106-51578-AA373

If you click Cancel, will your account remain connected?

If I click cancel, bottom right side of Outlook states 'need password'. If I click need password, Outlook then connects. This is the current workaround.

After rebooting and starting Outlook in safe mode does not prompt for password but I have since disabled all coms add-ins. Rebooted once more and opened Outlook in normal mode the password prompt appears.

If issue persists, we can also create a new profileto test the results:

have created a new profile and the same issue persists. I have also completely removed office and reinstalled using the below link.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8

Have you any further advice?

Thanks

Morne

Monday, October 29, 2018 11:38 AM
  • Hi Morne,

Do you have any anti-virus software running on this PC? We can temporarily close them to check the results.

According to my research, if Outlook anywhere is configured to use Basic authentication, it must prompt for credential one time when users launch Outlook anywhere clients. Is this the case for you?

Besides, we could use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) to run tests to resolve many different problems. It can gather the Outlook profile configuration information that's helpful when you troubleshoot problems. For more details, please refer to this link.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, November 5, 2018 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Apologies for the delay, we thought we had an answer. We replaced the certificate for the Exchange and IIS but this did not resolve the problem.

Anti virus has been disabled during testing but the issue persists. 

We are using basic authentication and normally when the credentials are entered and accepted the prompt does not reappear.

I have tried to use SaRA but I get an error when the wizard asks for the users credentials for on premise Exchange. The trouble-shooter needs Office 365 creds not on premise so that's where I get stuck.

Do you have any further advice?

Thank you

Morne Sturgeon

Monday, November 5, 2018 2:58 PM
  • Hi Morne Sturgeon,

We could check if the Autodiscover Service is configured correctly.

To do this, we could use the Test E-mail AutoConfiguration tool in Outlook.

1. While Outlook is running, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then right-click the Outlook icon in the system tray or notification area on the lower-right corner of the screen.

2. From the menu, select Test E-mail AutoConfiguration.

3. Enter your email address and password.

4. Clear the Use Guessmart and Secure Guessmart Authentication check boxes.

5. Ensure that the Use Autodiscover check box is selected.

6. Click test.

Under the Result tab, see if the correct xml file was returned succeed.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:30 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Once again thank you for your response.

I have attempted to carry out the test. results as follows:

The users details was entered as email address and password.

Once the 'Test' button was pressed, the authentication box appeared. Saying connecting to usersemail@hisdomain.com (I have masked the real address here)

Each time the password is entered, the authentication box reappears as above.

I cancelled and checked Outlook and this was still connected.

I don't understand why this is trying to connect to the users mailbox in this fashion (appears to connect to Office 365) when the customer has on premise Exchange. 

I have also noted the user gets a certificate warning connecting to autodiscover.

No other users are affected by this. 

Hopefully this helps, I am desperately trying to avoid a system rebuild.

Thanks in advance 

Morne Sturgeon

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 2:27 PM
  • Hi All,

I have found the answer to my issue. The initial forum post I found described changing the registry to prevent Outlook from going to Office 365 using autodiscover.

Through this post made me recheck the registry setting and found another Microsoft forum that described creating the key if one did not exist. I check this location and this key was not in place. I added the key and the user has not had the password prompt over a week. success. Registry change:

The fix is to create the following Registry keys on affected machine:

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover (x.0 corresponds to the Outlook version: 16.0 = Outlook 2016)
    For Outlook 2016 version 16.0.6741.2017 and later versions, please add the following
    DWORD: ExcludeExplicitO365Endpoint
    value 1

Thanks for your help!
    Morne Sturgeon

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:18 PM