Mapping Network Drives over VPN RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully set up a VPN from my home computer (Vista) to the office server - it shows as connected on my computer.  I then go to 'computer/map network drive and enter the address of the drive I want just as if I was at my desktop in the office.  I select 'connect using a different user name' and enter the credentials I would use if in the office.  Then hit 'finish' and it simply states that it cannot find the drive.  I must have missed out something simple.

Mike

Michael 2000

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:36 PM

Answers

• By default NetBios broadcast are not forwarded via a VPN tunnel… connect to your server by using its IP address.

this may be helpful...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=1163

Best,

Howtodo

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:17 AM
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 3:05 PM
  • I agree with Howtodo, use the IP address instead of the computer name.

• Edited by HILogics Monday, April 7, 2014 4:55 AM
    Monday, April 7, 2014 4:55 AM
  • If you're planning to run file-based databases, like Microsoft Access, over VPN, there are usually two major issues. Performance is terrible because VPN's have much higher latency than direct connections. Database corruption is much more likely because the loss of a single packet while writing to the database can corrupt the database structure. For remote use of file-based databases, Terminal Server provides a much more reliable and higher-performing option.

Paul

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Paul is exactly correct.  Please do NOT open Access or QuickBooks style data over a VPN unless you have backups you can trust and are prepared to restore them, preferably not over a VPN.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:44 PM

All replies

• By default NetBios broadcast are not forwarded via a VPN tunnel… connect to your server by using its IP address.

this may be helpful...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=1163

Best,

Howtodo

Sunday, April 6, 2014 3:05 PM
  • I agree with Howtodo, use the IP address instead of the computer name.

• Edited by HILogics Monday, April 7, 2014 4:55 AM
    Monday, April 7, 2014 4:55 AM
  • Many thanks to both of you, using the 'Run' dialogue box and the internal IP address of the Server works a treat and brings up all the shared folders on the server.

However, I also need to find the Sharepoint folders which we use to store documents.  From a networked pc in the office I can map a network drive to the sharepoint folders using the protocol \\companyweb\shared documents, but this dosn't seem to work over the VPN even if used in conjunction with the IP address as described above.  Can you help?

Many thanks

Mike

Michael 2000

Monday, April 7, 2014 4:10 PM
  • Any reason you don't use RWA to connect to the SBS?  Shared folder, web mail and SharePoint all available there.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:36 AM
  • Larry - a good question.  I do use RWA, but I am exploring using VPN so I can run databases remotely, but also because editing the structure of the document folders is much easier if you can access the folders directly: Sharepoint is a bit limited in this respect.  Mike

Michael 2000

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:53 AM
  • If you're planning to run file-based databases, like Microsoft Access, over VPN, there are usually two major issues. Performance is terrible because VPN's have much higher latency than direct connections. Database corruption is much more likely because the loss of a single packet while writing to the database can corrupt the database structure. For remote use of file-based databases, Terminal Server provides a much more reliable and higher-performing option.

Paul

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:04 AM
  • Paul is exactly correct.  Please do NOT open Access or QuickBooks style data over a VPN unless you have backups you can trust and are prepared to restore them, preferably not over a VPN.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:44 PM