locked
How do you fix a sharepoint error that occurs when you attempt to delete a web part? RRS feed

  • Question

  • A user reports getting this error message:

    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

    Exception Details: System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

    Source Error:

    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.


    Stack Trace:

    [FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).]
      System.Guid..ctor(String g) +2486
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.ApplyChangeList(String changeString) +1455
      Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.SPWebPartManager.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +398
      System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
      System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
      System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
      System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
      System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
      System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627
    


    I go into his site as spsadmin, and I edit the page in question and click on the x to delete the web part. I get the same error.

    I try it also as sa_sps and get the same error.

     

    The web part that we are attempting to delete is an imagewebpart that no longer responds to attempts to edit the web part.  The message just confirms that somehow things are corrupted.

    What are some of the options to resolving a problem like this?

     

    Thank you!

     

     

     

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

     

     

    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:48 PM

Answers

  • I wasn't certain how to remove the GUID.  What I found I had to do was go into a higher level site above the place where the problem was occurring, then click my way down the folder structure until I found the default.aspx.  I highlighted the web part that was corrupted and deleted it. I saved the page, which asked if I was sure I wanted to create a new default.aspx page. I indicated "sure!" and that worked out.

     

    So, perhaps SPD deleted the two parts in question.

    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:37 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:08 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Open the site in SharePoint Designer and for the webpart whic is causing the problem, remove the WebpartID along with the GUID. Once this is removed, save the page (after which the GUID will be regenerated). Try accessing the page now.

    Let me know if this works.

    Thanks,
    Dip


    Dip
    http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    Monday, January 24, 2011 6:19 PM
  • I wasn't certain how to remove the GUID.  What I found I had to do was go into a higher level site above the place where the problem was occurring, then click my way down the folder structure until I found the default.aspx.  I highlighted the web part that was corrupted and deleted it. I saved the page, which asked if I was sure I wanted to create a new default.aspx page. I indicated "sure!" and that worked out.

     

    So, perhaps SPD deleted the two parts in question.

    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:37 AM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:08 PM
  • did you check this post, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointcustomization/thread/a7ca9593-de6e-4ce2-9df6-b5b8b7a085d0

     

    thanks

    -ws


    SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:10 PM
  • No, I have seen that page in the past, but in this case, it was not a content view web part, but an image web part. The web part would not allow us to edit it to see what was inside, so I just went the route of opening the site in sharepoint designer and deleting the web part.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 8:13 PM