none
Remove a user from a SharePoint group at the document level.

Question

• I have a situation in which a user is a member of the Members security group that has access to all information in the site. I have a single document in which I need to remove one user who is a member of the security group.  What is the best way to accomplish this?  The permissions are inherited throughout the site.  I managed to get it done by removing the user from the security group at the top, added her permissions as a user to the top level, broke the permissions at the document library level and then removed the single users.  It seems like I should be able to break the permissions at the document library level and remove the user from the Members group only at the document level but that didn't work.  It removed her from the group all together.
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Boyd,

We can use Shared With in library File Ribbon to stop Inheriting Permissions and remove the read permission for the specific user.

Thanks

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 28, 2016 9:42 AM
  • That works when you're sharing to individuals but what about when the user is in the Members group.  I couldn't find any options to remove the user from the group at the document library (or document level) that didn't take her out of the group on the entire site.  We're also using the online version of SharePoint. 
    Friday, October 28, 2016 3:21 PM