none
Windows 7 clients and InTune

Question

• Hi,

We are looking at integrating InTune with our existing SCCM 2012 server, I had a question about this.  We are going to primarily use InTune to manage Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops/tablets located outside of the network, then use SCCM to manage devices inside the network.  When I looked at the instructions to create the link between InTune and SCCM I didn't see any mention of Windows 7 devices, it appeared to be more geared towards iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc.

Once we create the link between the two systems, will we be able to manage Windows 7 and Windows 8 devices located outside the network from the internal SCCM system?  Ideally we would like to be able to gather inventory information about these devices, manage antivirus and windows updates.

thanks.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 5:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• That won't work the way you're thinking. Windows 7 can't be enrolled as a mobile device, as the operating system doesn't support those capabilities. That means that it would require a full client and as you're integrating Microsoft Intune and ConfigMgr that will be the ConfigMgr client.

You would have to think of something else to manage those clients. Think of things like IBCM, or DirectAccess.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Friday, December 26, 2014 8:02 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Windows 7 is listed as a supported OS on Technet and we are currently using it to manage windows patches and antivirus on our non-network joined windows 7 devices.

Is this unsupported?

Monday, January 05, 2015 7:57 PM
  • Correct, Windows 7 is a supported operating system for a full client, but as you've got Microsoft Intune integrated with ConfigMgr you should use the ConfigMgr client. Windows 7 can not be enrolled as a mobile device.

Monday, January 05, 2015 8:12 PM
  • Ok, I see.  So if you run the full client and integrate with SCCM, the data relating to the full clients in InTune would not sync up with the internal SCCM database?

I see what you are saying, it's better to use the SCCM client over the internet, we are just trying to avoid all the infrastructure in doing that as we don't have a larger number of external clients.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:31 PM
  • Correct. When you're using Microsoft Intune integrated with ConfigMgr you can't use the full Intune client to manage your Windows 7 devices.

Thursday, January 08, 2015 7:22 AM
  • Just a little further explanation, when you integrate ConfigMgr and Intune you must select ConfigMgr as the Mobile Device Management Authority. This means that all management of your devices will now be done through ConfigMgr. You will not need to open the Intune console.

Finally, in case you are wondering, you cannot install both Intune and ConfigMgr clients on a device.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, January 08, 2015 7:39 AM