Blue screen error RRS feed

• Question

• It's happened twice today, here's the log:

Fault bucket BAD_DUMPFILE, type 0
    Event Name: BlueScreen
    Response: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/resredir.aspx?sid=79&Bucket=BAD_DUMPFILE&ID=e7b2be36-c4f6-408a-a271-00f54061eb51
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1:
    P2:
    P3:
    P4:
    P5:
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\102710-45677-01.dmp
    C:\Users\O'Brien\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-1720675-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\O'Brien\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1989.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_04e429ed

Analysis symbol: BAD_DUMPFILE
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 102710-45677-01
    Report Status: 0

Also, something important is that I just upgraded to Windows 7 yesterday, and I've gotten 2 blue screens today alone.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:40 AM

Answers

• Both of those two minidump files showed a BAD_POOL_HEADER error and in each error a Norton driver caused the crash (IDSvix86.sys and SYMEVENT.SYS).

I would suggest to uninstall Norton and see if the blue screens resolve.

At this time, if you need antivirus protection consider Microsoft Security Essentials which will install a minimum number of drivers.

If blue screens continue please provide the resulting minidump file(s).

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, November 5, 2010 9:20 AM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 2:54 AM
  • OK then. what I would suggest is to uninstall both Norton 360 and any Roxio software.

For the time being, if you feel you need antivirus protection consider Microsoft Security Essentials which will install a minimum number of drivers.

Roxio drivers which appear to now exist, such as Cdralw2k.SYS and Cdr4_xp.SYS, are notorious for causing blue screen errors especially if the drivers are older.

These errors usually occur going into sleep or on shutdown.

Also, the sptd.sys driver which is installed with such applications as Daemon Tools can also be problematic.

Uninstall Daemon Tools, then uninstall the sptd.sys - see "How can I remove SPTD driver on 32-bit OS?" in the following link:

»www.duplexsecure.com/en/faq 

After uninstalling the above applications see if the issue resolves.

Also, if you have not already update all device drivers that you are able to, the following appears to be a link to drivers for your laptop, just choose the appropriate operating system:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2144780&rpn=PSLE0U&modelFilter=L355D-S7825&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, November 1, 2010 6:44 AM
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• Have you try running memtest, windows memory diagnostic and look for clues under adminstrative tools>event viewer?
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:03 AM
    Answerer
  • Memtest brought nothing, and the log was the one i posted above, which I didn't see anything important in.

Yay another blue screen:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
      BCCode:    19
      BCP1:    00000020
      BCP2:    85E0D000
      BCP3:    85E0D300
      BCP4:    08600000
      OS Version:    6_1_7600
      Service Pack:    0_0
      Product:    256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
      C:\Windows\Minidump\102810-37627-01.dmp
      C:\Users\O'Brien\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-101010-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I can take a guess that something went wrong during the windows 7 installation, as for these problems are just occuring now.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest updating BIOS and device drivers first. Please check if it occurs in Safe Mode. Keep pressing F8 upon restarting and choose Safe Mode on the startup menu.

To solid troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to update my BIOS and drivers ASAP.

However, I think I've found the problem. When ever I close my laptop and it goes into hibernation mode (correct me if I'm wrong) I get the blue screen. Any ideas as to what could be causing that?

Saturday, October 30, 2010 4:10 PM
  • It may help to look at the minidump files from the crashes with a debugger.

Can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Hope I did this right.

http://cid-5411707bc7c85374.office.live.com/self.aspx/minidump%20file/Minidump%20files.zip

Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:58 PM
  • One of the BAD_POOL_HEADER errors appeared to be caused by the SYMTDIV.SYS, which is a Norton360 driver.

However there are quite a few older drivers on the system, some of which may be at issue.

Did you run the Windows Upgrade Advisor prior to upgrading to Windows 7?

Also, did you upgrade without first uninstalling the antivirus software?

Also, what Roxio software is installed and what version?

Is Daemon Tools installed? 

Sunday, October 31, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Unfortunately, my dad somehow got on my laptop while I was at school. (I refused to upgrade originally, because I heard from some friends that they perfer Vista)

For that reason, I have no idea what he did but...

He more then likely did not run Windows upgrade advisor before installing

I believe he did upgrade with Norton 360 still installed.

Roxio? I don't know if I even have that installed...If it is, then it's probably a rather old version.

And yes, Daemon tools is installed

Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:23 PM
  • OK then. what I would suggest is to uninstall both Norton 360 and any Roxio software.

For the time being, if you feel you need antivirus protection consider Microsoft Security Essentials which will install a minimum number of drivers.

Roxio drivers which appear to now exist, such as Cdralw2k.SYS and Cdr4_xp.SYS, are notorious for causing blue screen errors especially if the drivers are older.

These errors usually occur going into sleep or on shutdown.

Also, the sptd.sys driver which is installed with such applications as Daemon Tools can also be problematic.

Uninstall Daemon Tools, then uninstall the sptd.sys - see "How can I remove SPTD driver on 32-bit OS?" in the following link:

»www.duplexsecure.com/en/faq 

After uninstalling the above applications see if the issue resolves.

Also, if you have not already update all device drivers that you are able to, the following appears to be a link to drivers for your laptop, just choose the appropriate operating system:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2144780&rpn=PSLE0U&modelFilter=L355D-S7825&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

• Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, November 1, 2010 6:44 AM
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Thanks for the help. I still can't find any roxio software on my laptop right now. I do see those drivers though, can I just delete them?

I just uninstalled Daemon tools and updated the drivers btw.

Edit: those didn't do the trick, i still have the problems.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 1:40 PM
  • It may or may not cause an issue to delete (or rename) the drivers.

Can you check the following two registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Cdralw2k 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_xp

At each of those two registry keys in the right window what is the "Data" for "Start"? 

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:21 AM
  • 0x00000001 (1)

for both

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:38 AM
  • That would indicate these drivers are loading at startup.

Can you, for each, double-click "Start" and change  the "Value data" to 4 which will disable the drivers from loading.

Also do the same for the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PxHelp20

Create a System Restore Point beforehand and restart the computer afterward.

Then see if the same issue exists.

Can you also check afterward the status of any DVD/CD-ROM drives in the Device Manager.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Unfortunately, I still am getting the blue screen.

Here is the only thing under DVD/CD-ROM: http://i51.tinypic.com/ztjdvl.png

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Can you provide the latest minidump file(s)?

Also, to fix the error with the DVD drive follow the steps for Windows Vista (which also work for Windows 7) in the following MS KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

These steps, to remove the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values, if they exist, at the named registry key should help.

Create a System Restore Point beforehand and restart the computer afterward.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:18 AM
  • http://cid-5411707bc7c85374.office.live.com/self.aspx/newest%20minidumpfiles/Minidump.zip
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Both of those two minidump files showed a BAD_POOL_HEADER error and in each error a Norton driver caused the crash (IDSvix86.sys and SYMEVENT.SYS).

I would suggest to uninstall Norton and see if the blue screens resolve.

At this time, if you need antivirus protection consider Microsoft Security Essentials which will install a minimum number of drivers.

If blue screens continue please provide the resulting minidump file(s).

Friday, November 5, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Alright thanks a ton!

Now with my subscription to Norton, I kinda want to get it back on my laptop. Would uninstalling and then reinstalling fix the problem?

Saturday, November 6, 2010 1:44 PM
  •  Would uninstalling and then reinstalling fix the problem?

You would have to try it.

If there was a problem with the Norton installation then uninstalling and reinstalling may fix the problem.

If you do try it, consider using the Norton Removal Tool to try to clean up any old Norton drivers, etc. before reinstalling.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 7:35 PM
  • The Norton removal tool will not start up. It seems to be running, but nothing pops up when I click it.

So I went to the Programs feature and uninstalled Norton that way. I then tested the problem and it is still there. 

Any ideas on what to do now?

EDIT: It's running now, it took about an hour to pop up, will post later on what happens

EDIT#2: Things look like they're up and running again, no signs of a blue screen. Thanks a ton for the help

Sunday, November 7, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Dangit, well got a blue screen again, so looks like something is still up. Here's the minidump: http://cid-5411707bc7c85374.office.live.com/self.aspx/newest%20minidumpfiles/minidumps.zip

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:17 PM
  • The latest minidump showed a BAD_POOL_CALLER stop error however no particular third party driver was named as causing the crash.

At this point you may want to turn on the Driver Verifier against all non-Microsoft drivers to stress test them and try to weed out a problematic driver:

Start > type verifier in the Search programs and files box and press "Enter" > Create standard settings > Next > Select driver names from a list > then select all non-Microsoft drivers > Finish

Restart the computer.

Continue to use the computer normally but if you experience any BSODs make available the minidump files.

If after enabling the Driver Verifier and restarting the computer you receive a BSOD on startup and cannot start Windows, restart the computer in "Safe Mode" and do the following:

Start > type verifier in the Search programs and files box and press "Enter" > Delete existing settings > Finish

Restart the computer, log into Normal Mode, and make available any resulting minidump file.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:51 AM