Proofing tool is not working properly in Microsoft Outlook 2016. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft Tech team,
    Hi I am IT person who is working for a finance company in Korea, and we are replacing Windows 7 to 10 now. And I would like to ask Microsoft about one known issue which Microsoft announced to complete Fixing but actually our team found it’s not fixed yet through a couple of months test since last year.

- Subject: Proofing tool is not working properly in Microsoft Outlook 2016.
    - Test Environment: Windows 10 LTSC, Enterprise ver.2018.09 with Jan.2020 the latest patch (both KR OS and EN OS)
    Office 2016 Pro with Jan.2020 the latest patch (Both KR version and EN version)
    Symptoms: If I type subject in Outlook or Skype in English but using Korean Keyboard, English proofing option doesn’t work normally.

- Trial and error: We have been trying to solve it to follow up MS guidance below with patch KB3191932.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3203435/some-english-words-in-the-subject-of-an-item-are-marked-as-incorrect-b

But we cannot find key registry below, and it didn’t work if we created below key registry manually. So it seems not work.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Servicing

Tech Request: We believe it’s a kind of chronic Bug of Office 2016, can you please fix it ASAP

Tech Reference:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_winother-mso_o365b/spell-check-not-working-properly-in-subject-line/bed62376-6473-42fd-bdb3-f4bb736f8211

Monday, January 13, 2020 4:54 AM

All replies

• I am Tech IT of a KR company, yes I believe it's oviously office 2016 bug which has been raised since 2017 but MS never fixed it before. Please don't try to follow up the guidance from MS until MS gives you new guidance or release new patch, because it is not working yet, and save your time!!!

Hope to get a reply from MS.

Monday, January 13, 2020 8:02 AM
  • Hi,

I tested in my environment and can reproduce your issue.

1. In Outlook client, create a new message.
    2. In the Subject line, I typed in English with English Ketboard and the proofing tool worked correctly.
    3. In the Subject line, I typed in English with Korean Keyboard and the proofing tool not worked.
    4. In the Subject line, I typed in English with Chinese Keyboard and the proofing tool not worked.

Then I researched a lot and found that this is by design now. English proofing tool will only work when you use English Keyboard.

I understand that this change may have an impact on your daily use, so I will help you submit this feedback internally.

In addition, it is encouraged to share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 13, 2020 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:22 AM
  • Dear Aidan Wang, I believe you are very close to reality, and finally I have some conclusions below

1. It only happen on Korean language but not happen on Japanese or Chinese language

2. Difference between Korean vs. Japanese or Chinese is Hardware Keyboard Layout,

Simply put if you can find the Hardware Keyboard menu from your language IME such as

Korean Keyboard (101 Key) Type, etc. instead of English QWERT, then it will happen in the same manner.

However Japanese or Chinese Language is using English Keyboard instead local keyboard, it does't happen.

3. I believe other language which has own Hardware Keyboard, it will cause same problem.

4. Because it's binary option which belongs into Windows IME pack, you cannot change Korean Keyboard to English.

5. However I still don't understand, why it happens on Outlook Subject or Skype, because Outlook body and Word, Excel is properly check English proofing even though I am using Korean Language and Korean Keyboard.

I am wondering why Microsoft doesn't fix this problem from global version which has own keyboard options.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:50 AM
  • Dear Aidan Wang,

Please see my reply to Aidan Wang above,

I am wondering why Microsoft doesn't fix this problem from global version which has own keyboard options.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:51 AM
  • Hi Korea,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that this problem is bothering you, and I will help you submit this feedback internally. You can also share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Monday, January 20, 2020 9:14 AM