KB 2982385 has broken my edge servers RRS feed

• Question

• Last evening, one of my edges ran a patch cycle and updated everything - except KB 2982385 failed to install.  Ever since then, this edge server has been throwing the errors below.  My second edge server was fine... until I updated it this afternoon to see if it would also fail to install this patch, and it did.  Now both servers are in the same predicament.  Anyone else getting this?

---

Error 1 - App log - (this logs every 3-5 seconds in the app log) - stopping the Access Edge service stops it from spamming the app log.  Regular Windows Error Reporting log Event 1001.

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

P1: rtchost.exe
    P2: 4.0.7577.183
    P3: 4ec38adf
    P4: IIMFilter
    P5: 4.0.0.0
    P6: 5047de6d
    P7: 1a
    P8: 0
    P9: Exception
    P10: 

Error 2:  Lync Server log, LS AppDomain Host Process, Event ID 50007 

An unhandled exception was encountered.

Exception Details. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Rtc.IIMFilter.IIMFilter.GetThrottlingConfig(Int32& messageOverloadWatermark, Int32& memoryWatermark, Int32& overloadRecalculationInterval, Int32 messagesInServer)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.ApplicationService.ApplicationService.Start(EventWaitHandle shutdownEvent, RoleName roleName)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.ApplicationService.ApplicationService.Main(String[] args)
       at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssemblyByName(String assemblyName, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.AppDomainHost.Launcher.AppDomainLauncher.RunThread()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
    Cause: One of the applications identified in the eventlog description failed.
    Resolution:
    Restart the server. If the problem persists contact product support.

Error 3: LS Server, Event ID 12331

Worker process exited prematurely.  The process will be automatically restarted.

Process: 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Lync Server 2010\Server\Core\RtcHost.exe'  Exit Code: E0434F4D!_HRX! (No Message Text Found!_HRM!).

Neither A/V service will not start.  The Lync Server Access Edge service will start on a reboot, but a subsequent stop of the service will cause it to be unable to start again.  

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:28 PM

Answers

• We downloaded and installed the update manually and the problem went away for us: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44080

• Marked as answer by bogglor Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:33 PM

All replies

• Yeah, we're getting the exact same situation with one of our edge servers. Have you found any workarounds?
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:54 PM
  • We downloaded and installed the update manually and the problem went away for us: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44080

• Marked as answer by bogglor Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:33 PM
  • You're right, that seems to have worked!  Thanks so much.  I attribute it to the fact that there's an unsigned driver in that standalone downloadable package that requires an authorization to apply and it can't do it automatically through Windows Update.    

Wow, Microsoft really screwed up on this one.  I wonder how many others are going to be dead in the water come tomorrow.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:33 AM
  • thank you for this "fix" - I had the same problem this morning!

(yet another tempting reason to turn off automatic updates.)

Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:32 AM
  • I agree

Thanks for the post and the 'fix'

My current issue is that this has now been applied to the Edge server and services are running fine. But Audio through the Edge is still an issue. We have not applied the update to the front end servers.

Could that be the cause?

Any assistance is appreciated - did the driver issue show up on other servers as well?

Thanks

Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Unfortunately this patch has created issues for my front end server. My Edge server was not updated but Front end was, after this Front End service is not starting.

I have raised one forum for this and people suggested me to apply it on Edge as well to resolve the issue. I did that but it did not create issues for Edge servers, after applying patch on Edge server, edge server services are running fine. But still Front End server service is not starting.

My forum is,

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ac498f28-5565-4cc2-b9a2-124f099e59b2/kb-2982385-lync-2010-front-end-service-does-not-start-after-installing-this-kb?forum=ocsmanagement&prof=required

Update is showing as successful install on Front End server but it does not allow me to uninstall this update. Still there is an issue. Users are not able to login. Any help will be appreciated. I cant rerun setup for this as it is showing as updated.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:28 AM
  • When I try to manually run the update on Front End server, I get above error. This was successful on edge server.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:41 AM
  • This worked for us as well on the edge server, but given the errors another user reported here when trying to install it, we did not install it on our front-end server.  Everything is working now once folks properly restarted their Lync clients.  Thanks very much to everyone for the help.
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:07 PM
  • Agreed... we saw the same issue with the unsigned driver.  Shame on you Microsoft.  Apparently you either didn't test this update at all in the field prior to deployment or you changed the security settings on your test machines to ignore the fact that the driver was unsigned.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:11 PM
  • We have the same Error and a manual Update with LyncServerUpdateInstaller.exe does not work. A/V Services and IM are completly DEAD! It's a German Lync Installation. Error
    This Sucks so unbelievable hard !!!!!!!! No one can work (external) with Lync in our Company!

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Well, seems I have to open a Case by MS. ;-(
    Monday, September 15, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Guys I have solved the Problem!!!!! I had to Boot with F8 (Windows Server 2012 R1) and Disable Driver Checking and then this fucking Dialog apears!!! Oh my God!

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24617511/DriverSigBoot.png.html

MS you suck!!!

Monday, September 15, 2014 7:17 PM
  • Nothing helped me. I also manually rebuilt the counters but no effect. Also tried to remove just web components and reinstalled, but no effect.

Finally I had to reinstall the Lync Front End server from add\remove programs. I had to re run step2 and step3 in lync deployment wizard.  Edge server was not affected, so no need to reinstall that server. After reinstalling Front End, I reused my saved topology and published it and Edge server replicated the contents and all started working again.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:23 AM
  • Does anybody have any other ideas? The fix that worked for most isn't working today.
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:38 PM
  • @RJ2014

Where are you having the issues? on the FE or the Edge.

Does the updateinstaller show all updates installed successfully on both sides? - Please also advise on your topology and if there are any errors / services failing anywhere

Thursday, September 18, 2014 2:58 PM
  • It's on the Edge and all updates show as installed but it's missing the one that failed initially. Both Audio/Video services fail to start. This all started with the same failed patch as everybody else here. If I try and download just the single patch I get an Oops page.
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Same problem here. all Lync Server 2010 FE/Edge all Cumulative Updates installed but Lync Server 2010 Edge KB2982385 installation failed on this week and Audio/Video services won't start anymore.

Tried to disable driver signing, no help whatsoever. Any ideas?

Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Same problem here and since MS has removed the manual download then no fix.

Left out in the cold again.

Friday, September 19, 2014 1:04 PM
  • Sorry its been a little crazy here and regretting asking to many questions ;).

1. Does anyone know if a user is allowed to share a previously downloaded patch. I have the downloaded files - but not sure if allowed to repost?

2. Have you tried running the updates manually - not through the update installer? - and very possibly running those as admin.

3. Are you getting errors in event log. when the system is idling in a broken state, and then when you attempt to start the services.

Friday, September 19, 2014 2:03 PM
  • I don't know if you would be aloud to repost the files but I would certainly welcome them. Need the downloaded patch to run in manually.

Driving my users nuts not having Lync externally.

Friday, September 19, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Found an article - not sure if everyone seen this already?

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-055

Still seeing if i can source my downloaded files. - copied to a client server. (we running 2013)

Are the errors appearing in event log consistent to the 'issue'?

We also for a matter of interest removed the .net updates from the same day... maybe had some extra benefit. If anyone else has some input on legality of re-sharing previously available patches - please share.

Friday, September 19, 2014 3:08 PM
  • I don't know if you would be aloud to repost the files but I would certainly welcome them. Need the downloaded patch to run in manually.

Driving my users nuts not having Lync externally.

That's the Update I have used on my Lync Edge Server 2010 (on Windows 2012 R1)

http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/21984754/file.html

The Server.msp File should be the Update you need.

Saturday, September 20, 2014 7:58 PM
  • thanks mate for sharing the download.  that fixed the issue for me :-)
    Monday, September 22, 2014 12:52 AM
  • Thanks for sharing that it has got me going as well :-)
    Monday, September 22, 2014 8:59 AM
  • MS patched the Patch yesterday :D -> Download
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:21 AM