Can not extend volume for a partition RRS feed

• Question

• I was readying other forum posts about the volume being contiguous but i was still a little confused..

http://img682.imageshack.us/i/diskmanage.jpg/

C: drive is my windows vista, which apparently has 59.5gbs free, i tried to shrink it further but says I can not anyway.. I want to add the unallocated space to my drive F which is my windows 7. But the extend volume is greyed out..

I know there have been multiple posts about this but reading through them nothing worked for me..

I am about to just uninstall vista all together.. I rarely use it.
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:07 AM

Answers

• You can ‘extend’ to the end of a partition but not to the beginning, which is what you want to do.

If you go ahead and remove Vista, you should not format the partition because Windows 7 will not boot, as it’s labelled as ‘System’ and ‘Active’, which is where the boot files are stored for both Windows operating system in your configuration. It is where the initial booting starts from by showing a list of operating systems. The operating system you subsequently choose to boot to will be labelled as ‘Boot‘, ‘Page File’, ‘Crash Dump‘ and is given the drive letter C, which is not necessarily the System/Active drive.

You would be better off:
    1. Booting to Vista
    2. Remove Windows 7 from the boot menu using EasyBCD or BCDEdit
    3. Delete the Windows 7 partition
    4. Set up the unallocated space as 1 partition
    5. Reinstall Windows 7 to the new partition

As you have a Recovery partition, you will be able to reinstall Vista to the first partition at any time without affecting Windows 7. Well, not quite without affecting it, as you will have to add Windows 7 back to bootmgr.

• Marked as answer by EternalLED Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:43 PM

All replies

• You can ‘extend’ to the end of a partition but not to the beginning, which is what you want to do.

If you go ahead and remove Vista, you should not format the partition because Windows 7 will not boot, as it’s labelled as ‘System’ and ‘Active’, which is where the boot files are stored for both Windows operating system in your configuration. It is where the initial booting starts from by showing a list of operating systems. The operating system you subsequently choose to boot to will be labelled as ‘Boot‘, ‘Page File’, ‘Crash Dump‘ and is given the drive letter C, which is not necessarily the System/Active drive.

You would be better off:
    1. Booting to Vista
    2. Remove Windows 7 from the boot menu using EasyBCD or BCDEdit
    3. Delete the Windows 7 partition
    4. Set up the unallocated space as 1 partition
    5. Reinstall Windows 7 to the new partition

As you have a Recovery partition, you will be able to reinstall Vista to the first partition at any time without affecting Windows 7. Well, not quite without affecting it, as you will have to add Windows 7 back to bootmgr.

• Marked as answer by EternalLED Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:46 PM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Thanks a ton for your reply, I ended up just formatting my whole hard drive and reinstalling windows 7, since nothing was really important on windows 7 or vista (all my important work is installed on flash drive,cds or online somewhere)

Thanks for everything
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Some 3td softwares, such as Extend Partition Home Edition maybe extend the partition with Windows 7, an article about the problem: http://www.extend-partition.com/extend-system-boot-partition.html
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Free partition resizing program - Easeus Partition Master is highly recommended, it can easily extend and shrink volume.
    Monday, November 25, 2013 3:28 AM