none
Windows keeps installing and restarting the 'Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602'

Question

• My windows 10 keeps installing the update for windows defender  KB2267602 and the feature update to windows 10, version 1607. This has been installing repeatedly every time I switch on my PC. I am not even getting an option to schedule the restart. Please help, urgently.
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Have you see this Restart Option? What did you mean the keeps installing, is there any error message to appear that these updates failed to install? Please let me see your update history, screenshot could be OK. 

At the beginning to check Update issue, please run these tools: 

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\BITS, Windows Update. 

To do further troubleshooting, please post the Windowsupdate.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research. 

To get Windowsupdate.log, please run Powershell as admin, and type following commands: 

Get-Windowsupdatelog

The output results will appear on your desktop. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 7:12 AM
  • I'm having this same exact issue. Daily restarts, and in my "View Your Update History", it shows daily Windows Defender Definition updates. All are successfully installed, but why am I getting them every single day? And why are Restarts required each time?
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 5:15 PM
  • The 'Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602' are anti-virus \ malware definitions for Windows Defender. They are listed under the same KB number but the Threat definition version will increase (mine currently 1.243.436.0).

So Defender definition updates do not case restarts, can you explain the restarts more? What do you see when it restarts? What text is on screen what messages or what happens?

Sunday, May 14, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Yes it absolutely DOES cause a restart every time, I have been getting the same thing, daily. I see the new definition versions successfully installed, and it reboots every time.
    Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Yes it absolutely DOES cause a restart every time, I have been getting the same thing, daily. I see the new definition versions successfully installed, and it reboots every time.

Do not see this on my system, Defender installs its updates with no restarts for me on any Windows 10 system I have.

Have a look in Event Viewer see if that can help identify what is causing the restarts.

Right click start open Event Viewer. Expand Windows Logs and select System. On the right select Filter Current Log... In the box that opens in the text box with <All Event IDs> put 1074 in there to only show Events, click ok.

What does those events show for the reason for restarts?

Sunday, January 14, 2018 6:22 PM