PowerView/PowerPivot for Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. Hopefully somebody here can tell me:

Can I purchase Office 2013 Professional Plus and use PowerView/PowerPivot in Excel 2013 with spreadsheets as a datasource?

One of my vendors told me that you need SQL Server AND SharePoint to use these features at all, but this conflicts with what I've read which states that some features require those, but seem to indicate that you can use Office 2013 Professional Plus with Excel 2013 and use some of the features with spreadsheets as a datasource.

As an alternative, can I get a subscription to Office 365 Pro Plus and use PowerView/PowerPivot without buying any additional services?

Friday, September 20, 2013 9:51 PM

Answers

• We might have to clarify your exact scenario for "using existing spreadsheets as data sources." It might help if I explain the following. With Office 2013 Pro Plus, Power View in Excel desktop can query the following:

1. Data on worksheets in the same workbook.
    2. Data imported from external data sources (many types - SQL relational, Analysis Services, Oracle, OData, etc.) into the same workbook's Data Model. You can import data using Excel/Power Pivot.
    3. The Data Model in a different workbook in SharePoint 2013. (This scenario does require SharePoint.)
    4. An Analysis Services tabular database. (This scenario does require SQL Server Analysis Services.)

Does that help?

I believe Office 365 "Pro Plus" refers to an Office 365 subscription plan that includes only the desktop apps and not the cloud services, whereas plans like Office 365 "Enterprise E3" also include cloud services like Exchange and SharePoint Online.

Power BI is a new Office 365 plan that includes desktop apps, cloud services, and the full set of BI functionality. It's currently in preview. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/power-bi-FX104080667.aspx

Senior Program Manager | Power View

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:51 PM
  • For on-premise, if you purchase Office 2013 Pro Plus, you can use Power Pivot and Power View in Excel 2013 on the desktop. You don't strictly need SharePoint or SQL Server. It's when you want to save those workbooks to SharePoint and open and interact with them in the browser using Excel Services that you need SharePoint 2013 Enterprise and SQL Server 2012 SP1 Business Intelligence edition or higher.

For the cloud, it's simple: You just subscribe to Office 365 with Power BI and you get everything - the Office desktop apps as well as SharePoint Online.

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:01 PM

All replies

• For on-premise, if you purchase Office 2013 Pro Plus, you can use Power Pivot and Power View in Excel 2013 on the desktop. You don't strictly need SharePoint or SQL Server. It's when you want to save those workbooks to SharePoint and open and interact with them in the browser using Excel Services that you need SharePoint 2013 Enterprise and SQL Server 2012 SP1 Business Intelligence edition or higher.

For the cloud, it's simple: You just subscribe to Office 365 with Power BI and you get everything - the Office desktop apps as well as SharePoint Online.

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Thank you, so just to be clear...

Office 2013 Pro Plus will allow me to use Excel with PowerView/PowerPivot using existing spreadsheets as data sources, correct?

Can you link to Office 365 with Power BI (is this the same as Office 365 Pro Plus?)

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:12 PM
  • We might have to clarify your exact scenario for "using existing spreadsheets as data sources." It might help if I explain the following. With Office 2013 Pro Plus, Power View in Excel desktop can query the following:

1. Data on worksheets in the same workbook.
    2. Data imported from external data sources (many types - SQL relational, Analysis Services, Oracle, OData, etc.) into the same workbook's Data Model. You can import data using Excel/Power Pivot.
    3. The Data Model in a different workbook in SharePoint 2013. (This scenario does require SharePoint.)
    4. An Analysis Services tabular database. (This scenario does require SQL Server Analysis Services.)

Does that help?

I believe Office 365 "Pro Plus" refers to an Office 365 subscription plan that includes only the desktop apps and not the cloud services, whereas plans like Office 365 "Enterprise E3" also include cloud services like Exchange and SharePoint Online.

Power BI is a new Office 365 plan that includes desktop apps, cloud services, and the full set of BI functionality. It's currently in preview. See http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/power-bi-FX104080667.aspx

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:51 PM