ShortCut Error: the driver or network connection that the shortcut".link" refer to is unavailable.Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available RRS feed

• Question

•   I have one file server, its OS: Windows server 2008 R2, and create one shortcut to link with certain folders, when one user try to access the shared folder which owns the shortcut, the error alerts: "the driver or network connection that the shortcut".link" refer to is unavailable.Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available".  In the file server, the shortcut works well, nothing abnormal, just happens on the client.

Who can help me to fix the issue ???

No pains, No gains

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried to use the shortcut using other Windows client to test the issue? What’s the result?

In addition,
    please let us know if you have create a shortcut that is point to the \\COPIERNAME\File_Share folder. If so, please try to access \\COPIERNAME\File_Share from Start Search box and let us know if it is accessible.

Also the test whether you could access the folder via the IP address.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to use the shortcut using other Windows client to test the issue? What’s the result?

In addition,
    please let us know if you have create a shortcut that is point to the \\COPIERNAME\File_Share folder. If so, please try to access \\COPIERNAME\File_Share from Start Search box and let us know if it is accessible.

Also the test whether you could access the folder via the IP address.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Yep, the shortcut is also shared. I describe my real environment detailed,

1. On the file server, I create one public shared folder (P:\dept), it consists of all the departments' share folders. Each shared folders own NACLs considering security, then mapping the public shared folder to the all end users by GPO, e.g. P:\, (the only one is enough, I don't want to create more mapping drivers to users in order to easy management)

2. Now I encounter one situation that remaining disk space of public shared folder is not enough, the demand for A dept is quite huge, so I find out one way that create A dept's shared folder on the another disk on the file server.(it's a new disk, so data size is not problem), do the NACLs and create its shortcut to the public shared folder (P:\dept), for the sake of effect, I have to make the A's shortcut shared, in order to let users feel no any difference when he enter the public shared folder (P:\dept),  but its so regretted to get the shortcut warning while users try to get into the A dept's shortcut on the public shared folder (P:\dept).  if without the warning, the idea really works as my anticipation.

No pains, No gains

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:17 AM