Vista laptop boot issue RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so my son decided to wake up at 2 am and goof off on my computer (HP dv9000-Vista Home). It started acting up later that morning (ie freeze, won't shut down, etc...). So I did a hard restart and saw the most beautiful sight ever, the BSOD! It automatically rebooted and went into start-up recovery. Of course, windows could not fix the problem. I tried 7 different restore points with no joy. System Recovery also did NOTHING... Boots to bsod then start-up recovery. I did that twice. I don't have a recovery disk either. I'm pretty sol at this point. I have no clue what to as to what else to do. Can anyone help me?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:56 PM

All replies

• Hi there Ram9,

If you can note down the BSOD error, this will help in the diagnosis of the issue.

In the interim, try reseeding the battery (disconnecting the battery from the unit).

Reply back with how you go.

Regards,
    Nick
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Nick. I have tried to note the error every time, however, it only shows for a split second before the computer shuts off... I barely have a chance to see the blue part of it lol. Tried the battery, no joy. I finally managed to snap a picture of the bsod and it reads as follows:

Blah blah blah...

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

Blah blah

blah blah blah

blah blah

*** STOP: 0x00000074 (0x00000002,0x00000000,0xc000014c)
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:48 AM
  • Ok, so I ran the memory scanner in the startup recovery console and the durn thing booted right up. After it told me that there was hardware issues that I needed to contact my computer manufacturer to diagnose and repair...
    • Marked as answer by Ram9 Friday, August 21, 2009 12:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ram9 Friday, August 21, 2009 4:51 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Ok, so I ran the memory scanner in the startup recovery console and the durn thing booted right up. After it told me that there was hardware issues that I needed to contact my computer manufacturer to diagnose and repair...

Ok, so my computer installed updates in the AM and it did the same thing. So, I ran the memory scanner again and again, it booted up. Anyone know what could be causing this? Is this something that the Vista Recovery disk could fix??
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:53 PM