High Memory use for svchost process - RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a F&P 2 node cluster (Server 2008 R2 SP1, 16GB RAM, 2x2.27GHz proc), also running DHCP, were the svchost.exe is using between 3-4GB on each node.

The svchost process is running DHCP client, eventlog and lmhosts. Using process explorer I have restarted the DHCP client and TCP/IP NetBIOS helper (lmhost) service and the memory still stays around 3GB on the inactive node, so that points to the eventlog service being the culprit. Does anyone know of any fixes for the eventlog causing high memory usage? Done a lot of searching and can only find info on high CPU use and for issues involving server 2008, but not r2.

Thanks,

Ric

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, 

I suggest you check below steps one or the other to fix high memory issue.

• Sometimes corrupted user profiles cause of this kind issues. So, Logon as a local administrator and check for the difference.
    • May be event log is full, try to increase the size with overwrite option and check memory utilization.In windows 2008 we have no limit for event log.
    • Try to restart eventlog service from services console , check dependent services once before restart.

Still problem persists, I recommend you read this blog and act accordingly. How to troubleshoot Service Host (svchost.exe) related problems?

Regards, Ravikumar P

• Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Monday, December 3, 2012 1:33 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

We have reporting agents on this box and they report the same high memory usage, so it's not a profile issue.

Event log is at default size, and set to overwrite.

Restarting the eventlog service will probably clear the fault for now, but I'm guessing the memory will just ramp up again over a period.

I've already used a similar process to that link and got this far, just need to know how to fix it.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the post.

You may also read the following document to troubleshoot the process:

Getting Started with SVCHOST.EXE Troubleshooting

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/01/11/getting-started-with-svchost-exe-troubleshooting.aspx

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Monday, December 3, 2012 1:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:05 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 2:47 PM