Help with a script to clear cache/cookies and set browser options RRS feed

• Question

• my scripting knowledge is very limited and deep diving into it isn't time friendly to complete this task, so I'm hoping someone here can assist. I've tried to compile a few versions from various sources, but bringing the various pieces together isn't working and there seems to be several things I'm 'missing'.

Goal - create a script that we can upload to our helpdesk forum for user self help and for our less technically inclined folks. This needs to work on various MS OSes - WinXP, Win7, Win8 with various versions of Explorer (fun with variables! yea)

The script should perform the following tasks -

1) Close all open browser instances (option for the user to choose the Browser - IE, Firefox, Chrome)

2) Clear temp internet files for the chosen browser

3) Clear cookies for the chosen browser

4) set browser options - for IE: disable pop-up blocker, change Mixed Content to Enable, Set Browser Tabbing to let IE choose how to handle. for Firefox: disable the pop-up blocker, disable Mixed Content setting (about:config -> active_content -> change flag from True to False). for Chrome: disable pop-up blocker, change Chrome launch target to add --allow-running-insecure-content

5) Re-Launch Browser

the items for setting/choosing the browser is a 'really nice to have' option, but I understand this may only work correctly for IE.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration

• Edited by ColeBrooks Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:23 PM

Answers

• Yes - please contact a consultant to help you8 design and complete your project. This is a forum for technicians who use scripting in their work or who are learning how to script.  It is not a free script forum and is not a place to get scripts built to spec.

See the forum guidelines fo rmore information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by ColeBrooks Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:50 PM

All replies

• Yes - please contact a consultant to help you8 design and complete your project. This is a forum for technicians who use scripting in their work or who are learning how to script.  It is not a free script forum and is not a place to get scripts built to spec.

See the forum guidelines fo rmore information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by ColeBrooks Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:50 PM
  • my bad, I just saw that as well and tried to delete the thread but it won't let me.
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:53 PM
  • my bad, I just saw that as well and tried to delete the thread but it won't let me.

You can't delete a thread.  Just mark it as answered and let it go.

Post back with any specific scripting questions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:03 PM