Pagefile too large RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Expert,

I recently encountered a issue that pagefile.sys is too large, I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 X64 EE on Window Server 2008 X64 EE, The Server has 64 Core and 256GB RAM (100GB for SQL Server instance) , Today I found the Drive C: is only remaining 8GB(total 278GB) and Pagefile.sys is 255GB,its too large !
    I want to know
    What is the recommended setting for Virtual Memory on the DB Server?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Best Regards, nicofer

• Edited by nicofer Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:37 AM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:33 AM

Answers

• How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2008 and or Windows 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021748

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by jasonryonhall Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by nicofer Monday, May 14, 2012 3:26 AM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:42 AM

All replies

• How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2008 and or Windows 2008 R2

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

• Proposed as answer by jasonryonhall Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by nicofer Monday, May 14, 2012 3:26 AM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:42 AM

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team

Hi Ahmed, Thanks for the quick response. I will visit that .

Best Regards, nicofer

• Proposed as answer by jasonryonhall Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jasonryonhall Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:20 PM
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:27 AM

It's a good article and it does offer the suggestions that (a) some admins think NO pagefile is preferable for large RAM servers, and (b) that many people see the general rule that less pagefile is needed as RAM size grows.

OP's server, at 256gb, I think qualifies as "large"!

What the article never says, is that the *reason* for this is that, if you have a 256gb server and it needs to exercise all of a 256gb pagefile - it will saturate the IO channels and will run awfully slowly anyway.  The article seems more focused on rather smaller RAM sizes.

Article is strong in suggesting you try go get actual performance numbers for max committed memory figures, before shrinking the pagefile.

But the bottom line is likely to be that about a 64gb pagefile is sufficient, because that's already more than large enough if needed to saturate your IO capabilities, and if it's not big enough you're in pretty big trouble already that just more pagefile is only a poor solution for anyway.

OTOH - a "too big" pagefile just sits there quietly and doesn't really hurt anyone!  OTOOH if OP just needs more disk space to install more apps that want to live in Program Files that resides on C:, it's likely they can steal back 20-100gb and nobody will notice.

Josh

Saturday, May 12, 2012 2:51 PM