none
Automatic Updates from Microsoft when outside Intranet possibilities RRS feed

• Question

• Question: Is it possible to have the client switch from updating via Config Manager's Update Point to WUA when off site?

Regardless, this would be a short term solution to buy us some time to implement DA appropriately.

Why and detail:

We've got mobile systems which are not getting patched as they are away from intranet.

We are in the process of implementing DirectAccess to address this long term.

Concern mainly that the research /planning/ implementation for DA might be seen as to risky and forced to implement IBCM in advance of a DA solution.

Thanks in advance. 

Jay D

Friday, November 1, 2013 4:49 PM

Answers

• Sorry, but automatically 'switching' back and fourth like that is not a supported scenario.  If you know for sure that a list of devices will hardly ever (or never) be on the intranet, then you should point them to just do updates automatically from Microsoft Update all the time (typically done with Group Policy).  Once you've got DA in place, then switch it back to being managed by ConfigMgr.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by Jason Deary Friday, November 1, 2013 5:16 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but automatically 'switching' back and fourth like that is not a supported scenario.  If you know for sure that a list of devices will hardly ever (or never) be on the intranet, then you should point them to just do updates automatically from Microsoft Update all the time (typically done with Group Policy).  Once you've got DA in place, then switch it back to being managed by ConfigMgr.

I hope that helps,

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by Jason Deary Friday, November 1, 2013 5:16 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Thank you Nash for the confirmation...

Jay D

Friday, November 1, 2013 5:16 PM