(MPN question) Windows 7 PC randomly will not hibernate RRS feed

• Question

• (NOTE: I tried to post this question on the MPN Support Forum multiple times, using three different browsers. I wasn't able to because the Category drop-down box was empty every time I tried. And with no selected category, the message will not be posted.)

Hi --

I have a domain-connected Windows 7 64-bit PC. The user routinely hibernates this PC, and until about two months ago, he did this without any problems.

For the past two months, though, we've been having trouble with hibernating this PC. This problem happens at random. The user can hibernate the PC without issue several dozen times, and then for no apparent reason he can't.

When this problem happens, the user will instruct the PC to hibernate. The PC starts going through the motions, then suddenly beeps and returns to a login screen. Once this happens, it is not possible to hibernate the PC. Every subsequent attempt to hibernate the PC will have the same result. The only course of action is to shut it down.

Then the user can operate the PC without problem, and hibernate it at will, for some random amount of time (usually several weeks) before this problem suddenly creeps up again.

When this problem happens, the only thing I have been able to find that seems to be a result of this aborted hibernation is the following entry in the event log:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        volmgr
    Date:          7/5/2018 11:51:17 AM
    Event ID:      45
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      PC.domain.local
    Description:
    The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="volmgr" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49156">45</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-07-05T15:51:17.042016900Z" />
        <EventRecordID>17192492</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>PC.domain.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>\Device\HarddiskVolume1</Data>
        <Binary>0000000001000000000000002D0004C0072000000E0000C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

I have searched online for a solution to this. I have found many references to similar behavior, but I haven't found an appropriate resolution. Most of the suggestions revolve around making sure that the drivers are all current and that power settings on the PC are set correctly. Well, they are, and they are, on this PC.

To be clear here: The problem is not that this PC will not hibernate. This PC hibernates just fine most of the time. The problem is that the PC suddenly, at random and with no discernible pattern decides not to hibernate. And then after a full shutdown, can hibernate just fine again -- until the day when it won't.

How do I get to the bottom of this?

Thanks,
    CL

Thursday, July 5, 2018 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check for errors with:

Powercfg -energy

Incidentally, Powercfg -energy gave you some errors and warnings - even when the computer awoke from sleep gracefully.  However, the point is that the information in the html report may point you to which devices need further investigation and driver updates.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 6, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Hi --

That report isn't producing anything that looks to help here. The principal errors have to do with the PC being configured to not automatically go to sleep when plugged in (why is this even an error?). There are a slew of warnings having to do with programs messing with the platform timer resolution (by "programs" I mean Windows system calls and Chrome). Other warnings highlight programs with "significant processor utilization," although collectively the machine shows less than 16% CPU utilization.

And I've run this report several times over the past few weeks, and the results are pretty much the same between runs. Except that normally, the PC hibernates fine despite what's listed on this report. And then, one day, it will not.

Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:17 AM
  • It happened again.

I tried to hibernate the machine.

The screen blanked for about five seconds.

Windows played its "Asterisk" sound.

The screen lit back up, and I was back at a login screen.

When I checked the event log, the only event I saw was the Event 45: "The system could not sucessfully [sic] load the crash dump driver." It references \Device\HarddiskVolume1, which on this machine is the C: partition. But C: shows no errors.

I tried a different approach. I tried to hibernate the PC by issuing a shutdown -h from a command prompt.

The screen blanked for about five seconds.

Windows played its "Asterisk" sound.

The screen lit back up, and I was back at a login screen.

When I logged back in, I found that the Command Prompt window from where I launched the shutdown -h call now had an error:

C:\Windows\system32>shutdown -h
    The system cannot find the file specified.(2)

C:\Windows\system32>

I'm lost. I can't find anything online that applies. (Or rather, what I am finding is a large number of people reporting problems eerily similar to mine, who never found an answer.)

I've tried hibernating after shutting down just about every running program, one by one. That didn't help. The only thing that I know will clear this is shutting down the PC. And then the problem won't recur for who knows how long. But eventually it will recur.

???????

Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:39 AM