none
SysPrep and Capture RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a question since the beginning which I cant seem to get my head around. Do you need to do this? The current way our deployment is set up is;

We are using the install.wim that was included in the .iso we downloaded from Microsoft does this need to be syspreped and captured? We are simply deploying to a machine via USB and going through joining the domain and letting the software install as well as updates from the USB. Is this the correct way to do it? We don't want to deploy over the network because our data centre is off site and we only have a 20Mbit pipe. I just need to know whether we need to sysprep and capture.

Currently no one has any experience with MDT within our companies IT department. I am an apprentice and struggling to understand how this works. I have grasped how to use MDT with importing applications using the task sequence and things like that however I'm not sure about whether I should of started with a syspreped install.wim or I deploy it now with applications etc. and once they have installed and so on I don't need to sysprep and capture or do I?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:26 AM

Answers

• Sysprep and Capture are used if you are preinstalling the OS for the purpose of bundling applications, settings etc. into a new .wim file to lessen overall installation time.

If you are deploying the OS source from MS directly onto client machines, then you do not Sysprep and Capture.

• Marked as answer by Liamsy11 Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:55 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:00 PM

All replies

• Sysprep and Capture are used if you are preinstalling the OS for the purpose of bundling applications, settings etc. into a new .wim file to lessen overall installation time.

If you are deploying the OS source from MS directly onto client machines, then you do not Sysprep and Capture.

• Marked as answer by Liamsy11 Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:55 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:00 PM
  • Thanks very much.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:55 PM