Migration from SCCM 2007 to SCCM 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are migrating from a SCCM2007 single primary site with about 450 client and over 100 servers to CM2012 R2.

On the SCCM 2007 we have all base roles like SUP, Fallback Status Point, DP, MP, RP, PXE etc. installed and we don’t use boundaries in the SCCM2007.

On the ConfigMgr 2012R2 site so far I’ve only installed and configured SUP because we will start from the scratch and not migrate any updates from SCCM 2007.

What should I do in the next steps?

Should I just configure source hierarchy and start migration of collections, packages, tasks sequences etc. at this point or do I have to do something more?

What about boundaries and Discovery methods? I would like to use Active Directory Forest Discovery to create the boundaries. Should I enable it after I’ve migrated everything except of the clients or can I do it now? I’ll not use boundary groups for site assignment.

When should I enable PXE support for clients and install WDS?

I hope someone can aswer my questions.
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:28 PM

Answers

• You need to at least install an MP role, and based on your current size, you can keep it on box.  

You will need a DP role to deploy the update package(s)

When you are migrating objects (collections, task sequences, packages, etc) from the 2007 environment, you will also migrate all the IDs (packages, collections, task sequences, etc.) from the 2007 environment.  If this is a non-issue, then go ahead.  

If it is an issue, then I would look at possibly creating new packages based on existing package source locations and you can leverage the new powershell cmdlets in 2012 R2

Boundaries, they are handled slightly different and you will need them defined and assigned to site systems for any PXE enabled deployments.  You may enable the AD forest discovery at any time and have it run on a schedule to create the boundaries.  I would do it now, so as you build out the infrastructure, you can assign the newly created site systems to the already created boundary groups.  

Note:  the AD forest discovery does NOT create the boundary groups in which you assign the site systems to.

PXE:  If you are currently using PXE with WDS in 2007, I would not switch them to 2012 until you are ready as only one PXE point per network segment.  I would cut the PXE over site by site.

Hope that helps!

MCP, MCTS, MCSA,MCSE

• Marked as answer by binary-lab Monday, February 23, 2015 3:10 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 3:06 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 9:06 AM
  • I would first build and configure the new ConfigMgr 2012 environment, after that's done I would start with migrating the information you want the reuse from the old ConfigMgr 2007 environment. The same for the forest discovery, in your case, it will only create boundaries and not boundary groups, so there is no harm in configuring it already.

PXE always depends on the current infrastructure and if you can separate the new PXE server from it to prevent your new server from responding to PXE requests already.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by binary-lab Monday, February 23, 2015 3:11 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:14 PM
  • I always build out the ConfigMgr 2012 environment and then determine what needs to be migrated from the 2007 environment.  As Peter said, PXE depends on the environment.  If you can, it is best to use IP Helpers on your network gear and point a test subnet at the new PXE server.  That way you can get it working and continue using the existing PXE environment if needed.

Jeff

Sunday, February 22, 2015 8:02 PM

All replies

• I would first build and configure the new ConfigMgr 2012 environment, after that's done I would start with migrating the information you want the reuse from the old ConfigMgr 2007 environment. The same for the forest discovery, in your case, it will only create boundaries and not boundary groups, so there is no harm in configuring it already.

PXE always depends on the current infrastructure and if you can separate the new PXE server from it to prevent your new server from responding to PXE requests already.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

• Marked as answer by binary-lab Monday, February 23, 2015 3:11 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:14 PM
  • I always build out the ConfigMgr 2012 environment and then determine what needs to be migrated from the 2007 environment.  As Peter said, PXE depends on the environment.  If you can, it is best to use IP Helpers on your network gear and point a test subnet at the new PXE server.  That way you can get it working and continue using the existing PXE environment if needed.

Jeff

Sunday, February 22, 2015 8:02 PM
  • You need to at least install an MP role, and based on your current size, you can keep it on box.  

You will need a DP role to deploy the update package(s)

When you are migrating objects (collections, task sequences, packages, etc) from the 2007 environment, you will also migrate all the IDs (packages, collections, task sequences, etc.) from the 2007 environment.  If this is a non-issue, then go ahead.  

If it is an issue, then I would look at possibly creating new packages based on existing package source locations and you can leverage the new powershell cmdlets in 2012 R2

Boundaries, they are handled slightly different and you will need them defined and assigned to site systems for any PXE enabled deployments.  You may enable the AD forest discovery at any time and have it run on a schedule to create the boundaries.  I would do it now, so as you build out the infrastructure, you can assign the newly created site systems to the already created boundary groups.  

Note:  the AD forest discovery does NOT create the boundary groups in which you assign the site systems to.

PXE:  If you are currently using PXE with WDS in 2007, I would not switch them to 2012 until you are ready as only one PXE point per network segment.  I would cut the PXE over site by site.

Hope that helps!

MCP, MCTS, MCSA,MCSE

Monday, February 23, 2015 3:06 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Thank you guys for the answers.

Ok, so basically I should continue to install and configure roles we will use like Reporting Services, Application catalog web service point etc. (I already have MP, DP, SUP), configure client settings, enable all necessary discovery methods and then start the migration of data, clients and enable PXE on the DP as a last step. 

Monday, February 23, 2015 3:23 PM