none
Override restriction on File Size over a Network

Question

• Hi All,

I am attempting to move a large amount of data from an ex-employees OneDrive to our NAS device for archive storage and large files PST and Video Files are not being copied over, is there a setting that I can change to allow these larger files to be copied over.

Please help

Zakmk96

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Zakmk96,
    As far as I know, the maximum file size allowed totally depends on the protocol. Some protocols, for instance, use a 32-bit integer to indicate file size, limiting the size to (2^32 - 1) bytes. Some protocols use a 64-bit integer. Yet other protocols use an ASCIIZ (null-terminated ASCII string) to indicate file size, which means that the number of digits became unbounded.The destination file system then might impose additional limitations. For instance, files on a FAT32 file system cannot be larger than 4 GiB (32-bit unsigned integer maximum value).
    In my opinion, you could also involve the vendor based on the brand of NAS you are using to check if some restriction rule on NAS device caused the problem.
    In addition, since the problem related to OneDrive, I would suggest you post the question in the following forum:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Zakmk96 Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Zakmk96,
    As far as I know, the maximum file size allowed totally depends on the protocol. Some protocols, for instance, use a 32-bit integer to indicate file size, limiting the size to (2^32 - 1) bytes. Some protocols use a 64-bit integer. Yet other protocols use an ASCIIZ (null-terminated ASCII string) to indicate file size, which means that the number of digits became unbounded.The destination file system then might impose additional limitations. For instance, files on a FAT32 file system cannot be larger than 4 GiB (32-bit unsigned integer maximum value).
    In my opinion, you could also involve the vendor based on the brand of NAS you are using to check if some restriction rule on NAS device caused the problem.
    In addition, since the problem related to OneDrive, I would suggest you post the question in the following forum:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/msonline/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Zakmk96 Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:31 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks for that your help. However, I found you change the file size in the registry so I changed from 500000000 (500MB) to 4000000000 (4GB) and I can now move large PST files over to our NAS device.

Kind Regards

Zak

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:03 PM
  • Hi Zak,
    I am glad that the large files are able to be moved now, and appreciate for your update and feedback. If you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Thank you for your time again.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Friday, August 26, 2016 1:23 AM