none
Why a break in the task bar? RRS feed

• Question

• Just trying to figure out why there are breaks (with a dot) in my task bars.  See below.  ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

I tried to add a photo but says I cannot until they "can verify my account".  Again, I have a handful of tasks that run from 6/10/17 to 6/9/18.  Most of the task bars are solid lines but 2 of them have a break with a "." in between.  Thoughts????

Friday, November 10, 2017 5:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• GGuyer --

There are a couple of things that can cause task splits in a Microsoft Project schedule:

• You level resource overallocations using the default options in the Resource Leveling dialog.  The main option that can cause the task split is the Leveling Can Create Splits in Remaining Work.
    • Assuming your organization is using Project Online or Project Server, and that team members enter progress on the Timesheet page on a daily basis, a team member enters 0h of Actual Work on a task in your project. If the team member is the only person assigned to the task, when he/she enters 0h of Actual Work for that task, Microsoft Project will show this as a task split.
    • You manually split the task using the Split Task button in the Task ribbon.  I doubt this is the cause of your problem, since you did not indicate the task splits are intentional.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, November 10, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Unfortunately, no success.  I ensured the leveling option was unchecked.  There is no company use of Project, i.e. resource allocations, and last, it's not showing as a split task.  Thanks VERY much for the response but I'm still searching. 

I may just delete and recreate the task to see if that gets rid of it.

Friday, November 10, 2017 6:20 PM
  • FIXED!!  I deleted the dates and re-entered them.  The break disappeared.

Good to go!!!  Thanks again for the response!!!!

Friday, November 10, 2017 6:37 PM