none
PC's not restarting after updates?????????

Question

• Hey guys....  Why is my pc's not restarting after Windows Updates?  The NAG appears but never does the count down and restarts.  I have check Group Policy and the "No Auto Restart with Logged On User" is not enabled (still set for not configured).  I checked Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\WINDOWSUPDATE\AU\NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers is not set.  We wanted this to turn on for our users, but cannot seem to get it to work.  Like i said, the NAG appears and you can postone, but if you dont touch it the pc never restarts.  FYI, we are using Server 2008R2 Standard GP.  Thanks

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the NAG appears and you can postone, but if you dont touch it the pc never restarts. 

>>>I have tested for this, and if you do not touch the PC when the NAG appears, the computer will not restart automatically.

I think it is normal behavior.

If you want to restart the computer after the updates are install, you could try to enable the policy Always automatically restart at the scheduled time.

You could try to modify the registry key AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime (if there is no the registry, you could create it manually) under the path below to force automatically restart computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi MakinseyKing,

First, I suggest you check the registry the path below, if there is a value named RebootRequired, a reboot is pending. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update

Would you tell us how did you configure the Windows Update policy (there are many settings under the Windows Update)?

Here is an article below about configure Automatic Updates by Group Policy for your reference.

Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720539(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:05 AM
  • Thanks Jay.  Ok...  So this is my current setup.  Updates are set to install Automatically @ 3:00am.  In Group Policy "computer configuration\policies\administrative templates\windows components\windows updates" everything in there is set to Not Configured.  Of course I have rebooted since, so I don't see that entry in the registry path you listed.  Let me include this.....  I ran the updates manually at around 10am, a few minutes later the NAG appeared and nothing ever happened.  Would it wait to the set time of 3:00am to start the count down????

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

the NAG appears and you can postone, but if you dont touch it the pc never restarts. 

>>>I have tested for this, and if you do not touch the PC when the NAG appears, the computer will not restart automatically.

I think it is normal behavior.

If you want to restart the computer after the updates are install, you could try to enable the policy Always automatically restart at the scheduled time.

You could try to modify the registry key AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime (if there is no the registry, you could create it manually) under the path below to force automatically restart computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Best Regards,

Jay

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 7:28 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

Best Regards,

Jay

Saturday, April 23, 2016 3:26 AM
  • Thanks Jay, I will look into this sometimes this week and give you an update.  Thanks again for your help
    Monday, April 25, 2016 7:43 PM