none
Protecting SQL server 2005 express sp2 on a workgroup computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a workgroup computer running XP sp3 with sql server 2005 sp2 which I need to protect, but I am unable to see the SQL instance on DPM 2010.  I can see the drives and the VSS writer service is started.  What should I look for to make this work?  Is this a supported scenario?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

• You can also download the vshadow tool from the VSS SDK and run vshadow -wm2

Look for the SQL writer to show up there and then see if it is enumerating the databases.  That is what DPM will query to determine what can be protected.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:20 PM

All replies

• Have a look at the following table http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634170.aspx . It indicates SQL protection is supported on Workgroup protected computers.

I've done this on a 2008 R2 server that is not part of a trusted domain and it works well. The SQL VSS writer looks to be supported on Windows XP so I imagine it should work, verify that the sql writer is started on your XP computer and look at the following link in case the MSDE writer is enabled. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175536.aspx

Friday, November 5, 2010 4:46 AM
  • You can also download the vshadow tool from the VSS SDK and run vshadow -wm2

Look for the SQL writer to show up there and then see if it is enumerating the databases.  That is what DPM will query to determine what can be protected.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:20 PM
  • blefebvr -

I am going to mark this as answered at this time.  If you still have problems or questions that have not been addressed, please reopen this thread.  Thanks.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:42 PM