none
WBAdmin Backup Failure on SBS 2008 caused by SQL VSS Error after Applying Latest Updates - What Changed with the Updates and What is the Fix?

Question

• Hello,

SBS 2008 WBAdmin backup is failing with this error, "Backup started at '{04b813c6-904c-4316-ac5e-88e6feaf2111}' failed as Volume Shadow copy operation failed for backup volumes with following error code '2155348129'.", since installing the September 2011 security bulletin release packages and restarting the server.  This started happening 9/16/2011. 

After doing a vssadmin list writers I find the SQLServerWriter failed with a non-retryble error as below Writer name: 'SqlServerWriter'
       Writer Id: {a65faa63-5ea8-4ebc-9dbd-a0c4db26912a}
       Writer Instance Id: {69a2671f-e126-415e-a05e-fd1fdce74426}
       State: [8] Failed
       Last error: Non-retryable error

If stop the SQL Server VSS writer service and run the backup job, it completes successfully.

This started happeing after I applied the latest updates to the SBS server; and did a server restart.  What changed with the latest round of updates that causes the SQL VSS Writer to fail and how to I fix this problem so my backups will run automatically?  As a workaround, I put a net stop "SQL server VSS Writer" in my backup CMD job and then  net start "SQL Server VSS Writer" after the backup has run.  

I've scoured the WWW on this error message and found several posts but no recommended solution from Microsoft.  Does the SBS team know about this error?  Have they weighed in on it?

Please advise.

-Randy Fleszar 

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

All replies