Help me understand..Exchange log RRS feed

• Question

• Just going through my exchange log I came across this event..

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 1221
    Date:  1/2/2012
    Time:  2:53:57 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: EXCHANGE
    Description:
    The database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" has 244 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

This concerns me at is says "has 244 megabytes of free space"..does this mean that it cleared up 244 megabytes or 244 megabytes is what is remaining? My Exchange drive has plenty of space. I ran Exchange Best Practice and no errors were reported. I found the area where it says "This mailbox store (EDB+STM) is approximately 15GB in size" then it says "This public folder store (EDB+STM) is approximately 1GB in size"

I even when to the MDBDATA folder and checked that and it is only at 13.8GB so I'm a bit confused on the 244megabytes of free space.

The registry edit to allow for larger than 18GB has been applied already...

Can someone verify this?

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 12:51 AM

Answers

• That means that mailboxes on that mailbox store can add about 244 MB of data before the EDB file will grow.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by Phill--- Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:45 AM
  • On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 02:14:43 +0000, Phill--- wrote:

>
    >
    >I came across this article that said the same thing:
    >
    >http://www.office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/663270/#msg_663270
    >
    >
    >
    >So pretty much nothing to worry about...thank you...saved me a stressful night...
    >
    >I did discover that my backups were running around the same time as the online defrag was running so I went ahead and adjusted the defrag to take place around the backup..since the backups take longer..I felt this was a better option.
    >
    >I used a custom schedule. Do I need to stop and start the information store for the new schedule to take place?

No, you don't.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:15 AM

All replies

• That means that mailboxes on that mailbox store can add about 244 MB of data before the EDB file will grow.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 1:45 AM
  • I came across this article that said the same thing:

http://www.office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/663270/#msg_663270

So pretty much nothing to worry about...thank you...saved me a stressful night...

I did discover that my backups were running around the same time as the online defrag was running so I went ahead and adjusted the defrag to take place around the backup..since the backups take longer..I felt this was a better option.

I used a custom schedule. Do I need to stop and start the information store for the new schedule to take place?

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:14 AM
  • Separating the backups from online maintenance is a best practice in Exchange 2003.

What I usually recommend is to schedule it to run nightly after the backups complete and then over the entire weekend to ensure that it has a long period to run to completion.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:11 AM
  • On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 02:14:43 +0000, Phill--- wrote:

>
    >
    >I came across this article that said the same thing:
    >
    >http://www.office-outlook.com/outlook-forum/index.php/m/663270/#msg_663270
    >
    >
    >
    >So pretty much nothing to worry about...thank you...saved me a stressful night...
    >
    >I did discover that my backups were running around the same time as the online defrag was running so I went ahead and adjusted the defrag to take place around the backup..since the backups take longer..I felt this was a better option.
    >
    >I used a custom schedule. Do I need to stop and start the information store for the new schedule to take place?

No, you don't.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
  • Thank you for your quick reply. According to the logs the defrag only takes about 15 minutes so there about a 2 hour window before backup begins..what other maintenance is going to happen that could run into the schedule backup?

When I changed the schedule to custom and press apply did I need to restart the information store for it to take affect?

• Everyone thank you for your replys..

Have a wonderful new year!!!!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:19 AM