Black bars on Windows 7 x86 while playing games RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason, ever since i upgraded my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop from Windows XP to Windows 7, I have been getting thick black bars around the edges of any game i play.  The black bars are only on the left and right.  For some reason, the only resolution that i can get to work correctly with my laptop is the 1280x800 resolution (native) and if i do other resolutions, even similar ratios, they still have black bars on either 2 or all 4 edges.  I have looked for ages for any Windows 7 specific drivers for my Inspiron, but have failed to find any.  All i can find is Vista drivers for it, and i have been told that they will work to fix my problem, but they end up doing nothing at all.  If anyone has a solution, please let me know.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What is your video cart memory ? You are having those black bars because you don’t have enough video memory. 512mb is the recommended memory size for Windows 7.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 30, 2009 2:08 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hi Desperado558,

Does the issue occur while playing all your games? If not, which game has this issue? Please check if it is compatible with Windows 7. Also, check if there is any game setting to change the screen resolution.

If the issue occurs in all games, the issue can be related to the display card and its driver. It is always recommended installing the drivers which are compatible with the operating system. However, according to Dell's website, there is no driver update availed for this display card. Therefore, please try install the driver for Windows Vista in the Compatibility Mode to see if the issue can be resolved.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If the issue persists, please perform the steps below to check the result:

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapters".

3. Right click the display card and click "Uninstall".

4. Restart the computer.

5. After the restart, run Windows Update and see if the display card driver can be downloaded and installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 30, 2009 2:06 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is your video cart memory ? You are having those black bars because you don’t have enough video memory. 512mb is the recommended memory size for Windows 7.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 30, 2009 2:08 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:17 AM
  • There is a very cool future in "Control Panel" called "Rate and improve your computer's performance".

Control Panel -> System and Security -> System, then you will see it on the left lower bottom corner in the window.

Click on it and , see the result for "Graphics" and "Gaming graphics".

Monday, November 23, 2009 6:15 AM
  • Hi Desperado558,

Does the issue occur while playing all your games? If not, which game has this issue? Please check if it is compatible with Windows 7. Also, check if there is any game setting to change the screen resolution.

If the issue occurs in all games, the issue can be related to the display card and its driver. It is always recommended installing the drivers which are compatible with the operating system. However, according to Dell's website, there is no driver update availed for this display card. Therefore, please try install the driver for Windows Vista in the Compatibility Mode to see if the issue can be resolved.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

If the issue persists, please perform the steps below to check the result:

1. Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. Double click to expand the "Display adapters".

3. Right click the display card and click "Uninstall".

4. Restart the computer.

5. After the restart, run Windows Update and see if the display card driver can be downloaded and installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, November 30, 2009 2:06 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:44 AM