Call to PSTN (mobile phone) disconnects exactly on 15 minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,  I got something strange going on.  If someone using Lync in our company dials a mobile phone (tried calling a mobile phone with AT&T and Verizon Telco companies) and makes a good connection with the callee, the phone call will disconnect ~15 minutes after the call connects.  The issue does not occur on internal calls (Lync-Lync calls or Lync-Cisco calls <we have Cisco equipment>.   Our Lync server talks to Cisco Unity Call Manager (version 8.6.1) (that is our SIP provider).

In Lync Reporting Server for Call failures, I see this error:

Request: BYE Response: 200
    Diagnostic ID: 10043 Category: Unexpected

Component: Mediation Server
    Reason:
    Unexpected call termination from gateway side, ITU-T Q.850 Cause invalid message (e.g. parameter out of
    range) class

Description:
    An active call was terminated in an abnormal
    fashion. ie. due to a reason other than the remote
    party hanging up

--------------- 

A couple of items about our setup:
    - We are running Cisco Unity Call mgr 8.6.1 (we were running CUCM 7.1.6 prior and I don't think the issue occurred with version 7.1.6)
    - I have not use Lync to call a PSTN Landline.  I have not tried having a mobile phone dial a Lync client and see if the call disconnects after ~15.
    - If I do a get-cstrunkconfiguration, our trunk config is: EnableBypass true, EnableSessioNTimer false, RTCPActiveCalls False, RTCPCallsOnHold false

Any ideas what may be causing this issue?  I'm pretty sure it started to happen after our CUCM upgrade to version 8.6.1.

Thanks in advance for your repsonses!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:43 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone for your feedback!  Sorry for the late response (I'm at a conference this week - Not the Lync Conference).

I will try out your suggestions and report back what I found / what I think fixed it!

• Marked as answer by clay28 Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:13 PM
  • We have fixed this issue.

We discovered (and I cannot explain why) but if a person is inside of our network and dials a PSTN mobile line - if they are running Lync 2013 client, the call will disconnect abnormally on the Lync side after 15 minutes.  If the person is running the Lync 2010 client, the call will stay connected after 15 minutes. 

We are running Lync 2010 servers and we haven't updated our Lync Servers since May 2012. 

Very strange but that is the only thing I can find.

On our Cisco Call Manager, we changed the SIP timer to some big number.  Now Lync 2013 clients can make PSTN calls without having it disconnect after 15 minutes.

• Marked as answer by clay28 Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:36 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:36 AM

All replies

• - the lync client is sitting inside of our network (i.e., the Lync client is not connecting from outside of our network
    - lync version is down below.

Name                                                          Version    
    ----                                                          -------    
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Mediation Server                  4.0.7577.183
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Mobility Service                  4.0.7577.203
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Conferencing Announcement Service 4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Resource Kit Tools                4.0.7577.172
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Web Components Server             4.0.7577.205
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Conferencing Attendant            4.0.7577.199
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Response Group Service            4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Web Conferencing Server           4.0.7577.199
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Core Components                   4.0.7577.205
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, WMI Backwards Compatibility       4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Bandwidth Policy Service          4.0.7577.184
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Call Park Service                 4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Core Management Server            4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Audio Test Service                4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Application Host                  4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Administrative Tools              4.0.7577.190
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Reach Fonts                       4.0.7577.0 
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Front End Server                  4.0.7577.203
    Microsoft Lync Server 2010, Conferencing Server               4.0.7577.203

Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:45 PM
  • The log says that the call was terminated on the gateway side.  Have you looked at the logs there to see why it decided to send that message?

BBB

Friday, February 15, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Indubious is on the right path here. My guess is that the Cisco is dropping the call. Verify the logs ont he Cisco. MOst likely there is a timeout setting that needs to be adjusted.

Have you visited Lync News lately? All of the latest Lync news, articles, and tips collected in one giant aggregator. http://lyncne.ws

Friday, February 15, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to disable media bypass?

You may try to dial the call from mobile phone to a lync client to test.

In addition, you can try to enable logging tool on mediation server for troubleshooting.

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/06/using-the-lync-logging-tool/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Thanks everyone for your feedback!  Sorry for the late response (I'm at a conference this week - Not the Lync Conference).

I will try out your suggestions and report back what I found / what I think fixed it!

• Marked as answer by clay28 Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:13 PM
  • We have fixed this issue.

We discovered (and I cannot explain why) but if a person is inside of our network and dials a PSTN mobile line - if they are running Lync 2013 client, the call will disconnect abnormally on the Lync side after 15 minutes.  If the person is running the Lync 2010 client, the call will stay connected after 15 minutes. 

We are running Lync 2010 servers and we haven't updated our Lync Servers since May 2012. 

Very strange but that is the only thing I can find.

On our Cisco Call Manager, we changed the SIP timer to some big number.  Now Lync 2013 clients can make PSTN calls without having it disconnect after 15 minutes.

• Marked as answer by clay28 Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:36 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:36 AM
  • WHich timer did you change and how big did you change it to?
    Monday, May 13, 2013 11:39 AM
  • SIP Session Expire Timer and the number was  864000

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Did you have to restart Call Manager for this setting to work? We changed it and the Lync client still hangs up on the call after 15 minutes.
    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:39 PM
  • I'm waiting to hear from our CUCM Administrator but I don't think we restarted CUCM.

you may want to check your voice gateways and see if you have any settings that may timeout the call. Also check your firewall.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:52 PM
  • So, did you restart?

I am having the same issues, 15 - 20 minutes a call disconnects.   It's strange, because the user is Lync 2013 client on Lync 2010 servers - but I am using Lync 2013 and I can call my cell phone and stay connected for over an hour with no disconnect.   I am wondering if there is anything unique on the CUCM side that they may be checking for specific to dialing an 800 (toll-free) number.    

We have checked our timers (per CUCM admins) and they are high.  I may have to revisit that information. 

G

if my post is helpful - please click on the green arrow. (please excuse, in advance, any perceived sarcasm/humor - as I often forget it does not translate through text) :)

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:26 PM
  • can you confirm the following settings are what you have as a working setting

Get-CsTrunkConfiguration

EnableBypass                        : True
    EnableMobileTrunkSupport            : False
    EnableReferSupport                  : False
    EnableSessionTimer                  : True
    EnableSignalBoost                   : False
    MaxEarlyDialogs                     : 20
    RemovePlusFromUri                   : False
    RTCPActiveCalls                     : False
    RTCPCallsOnHold                     : False
    SRTPMode                            : Optional
    EnablePIDFLOSupport                 : False

if my post is helpful - please click on the green arrow. (please excuse, in advance, any perceived sarcasm/humor - as I often forget it does not translate through text) :)

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi guys....

can some one help me with the translation rule....

i have Lync with AVAya integration...

i got the voice flowing from both side. just left with issue ..

where i am not able to make transaltion rule...

i have made dial plan,,, dont know if that is correct or not....

in my dial plan...i have made...

as i am from india...Delhi...country code (+91)

i have made dial plan accordingly...

Delhi local mobile...start with 9XXX-XXXX-XX   (10digits)

so i made dis way..

Starts with 9

minimum 5 digits.

add 0.....i have added 0 in prefix bcoz avaya side i am having 0 dialing...feature to route calls to pstn....

Now i dont know how shall i proceed further with Translation Rule....

please help me with that some1......

and my voice route is...number starts with 09....................

kindly help with translation RULE....

thankss...

sepe

Friday, October 4, 2013 6:11 PM
  • So, I'm curious if you have time to address my question.  Sorry that the last dude decided to hijack the thread.  :(    We are still getting disconnects to an AT&T conference number exactly 20 minutes.  We have checked and the Cisco people, as best they know, are telling me that the SIP Timer is high.  Can you verify your policy with the one that I pasted above?

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Hi Greg,

In my environment, The all above options are same and problem is exists. Please advice me to overcome from this problem. Thanks in advacne.

Regards

Vijendhar

• Proposed as answer by Vijendhar Thursday, May 29, 2014 3:31 PM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:00 AM
  • I am having the same issue but on lync 2013 server with lync 2013 client. where in call manager is the sip timer that you changed?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:19 AM