64-BIT VISTA RRS feed

• Question

•  

Im looking to purchase a new laptop from a local retailer.  I can't find the right combination of all I desire.  I have found one HP machine that has directx 10 and Nvida 8400 and AMD x64 but it comes with a 32 bit Vista Home Premium.  Can I reload that at the 64bit version?  Or do I have to purchase an upgrade?  Those that come preloaded with 64-bit version dont have the DirectX 10 video processor.

Thanks

Friday, May 9, 2008 4:35 PM

Answers

• You should be able to order the PC with the exact OS version and hardware that you specify?

I certainly wouldn't settle for a system that only comes with certain, pre-determined options, if it doesn't fit my needs. Call HP and tell them them exactly what you want. Remember the warranty that is included with the new system is only good, if you do not change anything, such as upgrading or installing a new version of the OS.

There is also the subject of drivers, if you order the system with a 32bit OS, does 'all' of the included hardware have 64bit drivers available?

The bottom line is that you don't want to settle for a system that is not 'exactly' what you need. If you do, you will be stuck trying to 'fix it, right out of the box'. I speak from experience!

When going from a 32bit version to a 64bit version, you must perform a clean install.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, May 9, 2008 8:05 PM